Feeder Fish
Aug 7, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Howdy y'all,

I have a 20 gallon (long) that had been housing a group of orange von Rio tetras, a couple shultezei midnight corydoras, and a golden gourami.

Suddenly, I noticed that the gourami was having a lot of trouble swimming, having to actively point up to get air and survive. Sadly he ended up passing away, but my friend identified the issue as dropsy.

After the gourami's passing, everything seemed fine for about 2 weeks, until a couple days ago I noticed that one of my von Rio tetras was having the same issue, being unable to keep themselves upright and sinking to the bottom. I went out and got a master water test kit, and my water parameters appear fine, except for a nitrate level around 40 PPM.

Could this be the result of the nitrate levels, or did an illness enter my tank? I had just gotten a few more von Rios for the tank and then about a month later this issue appeared, but all the fish that have been affected were in the tank before the new arrivals

Reactions: MetalRavioli

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Howdy y'all,

I have a 20 gallon (long) that had been housing a group of orange von Rio tetras, a couple shultezei midnight corydoras, and a golden gourami.

Suddenly, I noticed that the gourami was having a lot of trouble swimming, having to actively point up to get air and survive. Sadly he ended up passing away, but my friend identified the issue as dropsy.

After the gourami's passing, everything seemed fine for about 2 weeks, until a couple days ago I noticed that one of my von Rio tetras was having the same issue, being unable to keep themselves upright and sinking to the bottom. I went out and got a master water test kit, and my water parameters appear fine, except for a nitrate level around 40 PPM.

Could this be the result of the nitrate levels, or did an illness enter my tank? I had just gotten a few more von Rios for the tank and then about a month later this issue appeared, but all the fish that have been affected were in the tank before the new arrivals
Normally dropsy is not contagious, what were the symptoms, the classic signs are bloat and pineconing, if it is it might have to be either parasitic or something with your water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store