Senegal bichir and black ghost knife fish?

MilkyFresh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2023
Australia
I have a smallish Senegal at the moment (about 4.5 inches) and I'm considering adding a BGK to the tank. I understand they're usually compatible tankmates, but I'm wondering about the kind of size I should be looking for in the BGK. I can buy them in the fish stores near me but they are quite small - what is the minimum size you would consider reasonable here before I'm asking for trouble?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a smallish Senegal at the moment (about 4.5 inches) and I'm considering adding a BGK to the tank. I understand they're usually compatible tankmates, but I'm wondering about the kind of size I should be looking for in the BGK. I can buy them in the fish stores near me but they are quite small - what is the minimum size you would consider reasonable here before I'm asking for trouble?
Welcome aboard

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d get a bgk about 2 times the size of the Senegalus. Big enough not to get swallowed or tail to get bit on. Had a large one with my Senegalus and were ok. Take into consideration what tlindsey has mentioned. Some bichirs just can’t say no to that tail, lol. Just IMO.

MilkyFresh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2023
Australia
Who told you that the lfs.

The BGK will outgrow a captive bred Senegal.
I personally tried a BGK with smaller bichir and they attacked the BGK tail .
Had to get the BGK out into a aquarium to itself.
Yeah okay - don't love to hear that. Not the local fish store though, there are a lot of previous threads on here about the pairing.

MilkyFresh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2023
Australia
I’d get a bgk about 2 times the size of the Senegalus. Big enough not to get swallowed or tail to get bit on. Had a large one with my Senegalus and were ok. Take into consideration what tlindsey has mentioned. Some bichirs just can’t say no to that tail, lol. Just IMO.
I'll see what I can find :) my bichir has never shown any aggression to any other tankmates, so I'm hopeful it will be okay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store