Senegal bichir and black ghost knife fish?

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I have a smallish Senegal at the moment (about 4.5 inches) and I'm considering adding a BGK to the tank. I understand they're usually compatible tankmates, but I'm wondering about the kind of size I should be looking for in the BGK. I can buy them in the fish stores near me but they are quite small - what is the minimum size you would consider reasonable here before I'm asking for trouble?

I've kept this combination more than once. Just to be safe, I recommend getting the knife fish larger than the Senegal, and not feeding the bichir feeders. The bichir can become nippy towards the BGK as it flutters about; however, I find that if the knife is larger, and I don't use feeders, it works out.

Reactions: tlindsey

MilkyFresh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2023
Australia
I've kept this combination more than once. Just to be safe, I recommend getting the knife fish larger than the Senegal, and not feeding the bichir feeders. The bichir can become nippy towards the BGK as it flutters about; however, I find that if the knife is larger, and I don't use feeders, it works out.
I picked up my BGK on the weekend - got the biggest I could find, which was a little bigger than my bichir. All seems fine so far. The ghost knife has picked out a cave and is just hiding in there all day, but my bichir has entered a couple of times to seemingly no drama

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store