Southern California (San Diego)
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
15-20
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, I haven’t been posting in quite a while, but I have a Senegal Bichir in a 90g tank with a couple other bichirs. I found him at the surface looking like this. This is very recent, happened in the last 24 hours. Is there anything I can do? Do I have to euthanise?

25DDABF1-D99E-4176-8AA6-FEF4517C0280.jpeg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I don’t think that photo does justice for how badly bent he is. He is kind of just floating and doesn’t respond when I tap on the glass, which he normally does. He also allows me to touch him

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Haven't seen any rounded bending of a bichir's spine like that before, though the red and frayed ventral fins make me suspect a bacterial infection of sorts. The belly doesn't look full as a result of food IMO, and fluid buildup/swelling seems more likely. I doubt that it crashed into a wall at breakneck speeds, but I suppose it's not out of the question; I don't know if the spine would've gradually curved towards the midsection of the fish if it did indeed hurl itself at a wall, however. Perhaps Hao Hao or giseok jung giseok jung could help?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Haven't seen any rounded bending of a bichir's spine like that before, though the red and frayed ventral fins make me suspect a bacterial infection of sorts. The belly doesn't look full as a result of food IMO, and fluid buildup/swelling seems more likely. I doubt that it crashed into a wall at breakneck speeds, but I suppose it's not out of the question; I don't know if the spine would've gradually curved towards the midsection of the fish if it did indeed hurl itself at a wall, however. Perhaps Hao Hao or giseok jung giseok jung could help?
Sorry. I'm no expert when it comes to health issues/diseases issues. My expertise is identifying bichirs. Best of luck to OP! Hopefully giseok jung giseok jung can chime in. I've usually consulted him when it comes to health issues/diseases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store