Serrasalmus rhombeus

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
The identification of piranha is very difficult because there are many common name(nick name) make it confuse.
Moreover many study show the different aspect interms of classification.
This study make me clear !!!!!!!! ..................http://www.aquariacentral.com/articles/bpiranha2.shtml
My conclusion are ( May be wrong)
1 Black piranha and white piranha are the same species which refer to Serrasalmus rhombeus. The different of color is result of the size of fish and different of river.
2 Black diamond rhombeus or Blue diamond rhombeus (common name) are similar to the Serrasalmus rhombeus but they are not Serrasalmus rhombeus. Diamond rhombeus is refered to Serrasalmus spiropleura spicies. This species has sparkle scale than Serrasalmus rhombeus(black piranha). I do not know which one is rare. But in Thailand there are alot of black diamond rhombeus, i have never seen the S. rhombeus.
I think you've hit the nail.

Serrasalmus Rhombeus is an slow grower and in captivity it seldom gets 10" or beyond regardless setup, so if you have a rhom that have reached in captivity more than 12 then if you have a bigger rhom it might be an spilo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store