Serrasalmus with Red Bellied Piranhas???

Sevastopol

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
KG-348
Hello, I have a 75 gallon tank with 6 red bellied piranhas in it, as well as 3 other fish (red wolf fish, rainbow shark, sunfish). I was looking at Serrasalmus species for sale, and I was particularly attracted to the S. Elongatus and S. Sanchezi. Now, I know that I will have to eventually sell some of the Red Bellies, because I do not have a bigger tank to house 6 adults. However, if I were to move or sell some Pygos from the 75 gallon, would one of the Serrasalmus species that I mentioned above be able to cohabit the tank with the Pygos?
I'd probably have three or two Pygos left in the 75 gallon to provide room for the Serrasalmus. Would this work? Anyone know? I read that the Serrasalmus species is generally an intolerant species when it comes to tankmates, but I've had success with cohabiting fish like that. Plus, the Pygos would have been in the tank first, so dominance is already established. What do you guys think? I'm willing to give it a shot. (FYI, the Red Bellies are about 4" each, I will buy the Serrasalmus at the same size.)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I have a 75 gallon tank with 6 red bellied piranhas in it, as well as 3 other fish (red wolf fish, rainbow shark, sunfish). I was looking at Serrasalmus species for sale, and I was particularly attracted to the S. Elongatus and S. Sanchezi. Now, I know that I will have to eventually sell some of the Red Bellies, because I do not have a bigger tank to house 6 adults. However, if I were to move or sell some Pygos from the 75 gallon, would one of the Serrasalmus species that I mentioned above be able to cohabit the tank with the Pygos?
I'd probably have three or two Pygos left in the 75 gallon to provide room for the Serrasalmus. Would this work? Anyone know? I read that the Serrasalmus species is generally an intolerant species when it comes to tankmates, but I've had success with cohabiting fish like that. Plus, the Pygos would have been in the tank first, so dominance is already established. What do you guys think? I'm willing to give it a shot. (FYI, the Red Bellies are about 4" each, I will buy the Serrasalmus at the same size.)

I don't think it will work. Solitary species will cause havoc if not kept alone. Caribe, Pygos, and Redbelly work because they shoal. Personally never read or heard anyone trying to do this. I've been in the Hobby a long time.

Reactions: Matteus

Sevastopol

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
KG-348
I don't think it will work. Solitary species will cause havoc if not kept alone. Caribe, Pygos, and Redbelly work because they shoal. Personally never read or heard anyone trying to do this. I've been in the Hobby a long time.
Alright. I kinda figured this, but I was really curious to see if anyone has had success with it, because I have found a scarce amount of information on the topic online. Thank you for your input. I'd be such a cool cohabitation though. I'm still kinda willing to take the risk to see though lol

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Search function really helps.
Simple answer: will absolutely not work for many reason's.
Tank size, mix of pygo and serrasalmus, the specific species of serrasalmus you are looking at, etc.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
I doubt it. Pygo's are shoaling fish while serrasalmus is a solitary fish. but I mean unless you had a multi-thousand-gallon tank, maybe.

Sevastopol

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
KG-348
I doubt it. Pygo's are shoaling fish while serrasalmus is a solitary fish. but I mean unless you had a multi-thousand-gallon tank, maybe.
People say the same about wolf fish (Hoplias or Erythrinus), that they're solitary fish and will murder anything else that goes in with it, yet I've seen cohabitations work. I keep a purple wolf with an African protomelas cichlid, and it is working fine. But, I suppose that the aggression level between the types of solitary fish are different....but all I need is TOLERANCE. I don't need peaceful, friendly community behavior, I just need tolerance. Tolerance includes the occasional fin nipping and fighting, which is ok. And tolerance is possible when introducing a solitary fish to a tank with others, it's just risky. Nonetheless, I'm getting the same answer from different people, so I'm probably wrong. I appreciate the answers though, to everyone who responds :)

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
People say the same about wolf fish (Hoplias or Erythrinus), that they're solitary fish and will murder anything else that goes in with it, yet I've seen cohabitations work. I keep a purple wolf with an African protomelas cichlid, and it is working fine. But, I suppose that the aggression level between the types of solitary fish are different....but all I need is TOLERANCE. I don't need peaceful, friendly community behavior, I just need tolerance. Tolerance includes the occasional fin nipping and fighting, which is ok. And tolerance is possible when introducing a solitary fish to a tank with others, it's just risky. Nonetheless, I'm getting the same answer from different people, so I'm probably wrong. I appreciate the answers though, to everyone who responds :)
Tolerance between two piranha species doesn't equate. One or both will die, either from stress of bullying or from the wounds inflicted from altercation. It is different when you have, say aggressive cichlids in a community tank that don't possess the razor sharp mandibles that piranhas do.
Could this cohab work in a larger system? Possibly, but it hasn't been documented successfully over the decades and dozens of people who try it anyways. Why waste money?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tolerance between two piranha species doesn't equate. One or both will die, either from stress of bullying or from the wounds inflicted from altercation. It is different when you have, say aggressive cichlids in a community tank that don't possess the razor sharp mandibles that piranhas do.
Could this cohab work in a larger system? Possibly, but it hasn't been documented successfully over the decades and dozens of people who try it anyways. Why waste money?

My thoughts as well.

Sevastopol

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
KG-348
Hm. Ok, perhaps you are right. It just seems like it would be an awesome mix by combining the two species, that's all. I wish it was realistic. Well, thanks for your help.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store