Setting up a new tank

Tigerfish908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
NJ/PA
jamesgang;1960165; said:
I cycled my last 3 tanks with "BIO SPIRA' . Ive never lost a fish by using it. It has to be kept refrigerated so you won't find it on the shelf, it contains the beneficial bacteria that we're looking for and you just set up your tank and start fishkeeping. It is somewhat pricey though, I think I paid 30 dollars for my last bottle.
"Cycle" is the same thing. The beneficial bateria is all in there. But "Cycle" does not have to be refrigerated. Also kinda pricey. Just have to make sure u shake it up really good b4 adding to tank.

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
you are goingto have to cycle it or it is going to get new tank syndrome and have major bacteria problems and probaly be cloudy for awhile..If you didnt cyle it buy some bacteria at your lfs. It comes in a bottle and is very helpful

jamesgang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2008
los angeles
Yeah, I've heard they are, but then I've also heard that cycle contains say the boost of nutrients or bacteria that support and encourage the growth of the nitrosomas[?] and since these bacteria need to eat and have temperature requirements, the cold keeps 'em in a state of lets say hibernation until you dump it in the tank and bring it up to temp where they wake up and require ammonia to feed the nitrogen cycle. If cycle contains this same bacteria I would think it would die off without the ammonia to feed on since at at least room temperature this bacteria would then be active and need to feed while still in the bottle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store