Setting up my first saltie

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Right now I only have the xenia and some zoas, but do plan on expanding my collection so I'm going to stay in the habit of keeping the water quality as best as I can. I just realized that the xenia went downhill after I added some chemi-pure elite to control my phospates and fight a cyano outbreak I was having-could his have effected the xeniea?

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Right now I only have the xenia and some zoas, but do plan on expanding my collection so I'm going to stay in the habit of keeping the water quality as best as I can. I just realized that the xenia went downhill after I added some chemi-pure elite to control my phospates and fight a cyano outbreak I was having-could his have effected the xeniea?
It could have but what would you rather have, high phosphates or a pulsing Xenia colony that actually pulses?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Good parameters will always be more important than a single inhabitant. Although I'd like to see it open and pulsing I'm not going to do anything to try to entice it. I'd rather not crash the system while attempting to appease just one part of it.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Well the xenia is pulsing again, but still isn't as branched out as before. I'm still happy that it's at least perked up a bit though. I also got a new addition recently, a Kenya Tree frag that is already looking happy in it's new home.

2013-07-23_18-39-05_138.jpg2013-07-23_18-39-17_800.jpg

2013-07-23_18-39-05_138.jpg

2013-07-23_18-39-17_800.jpg

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Current stock is now

Fish
Bangaii Cardinalfish
Firefish
Sissortail Dartfish

Inverts
Peppermint Shrimp
Brittle Starfish
Various Hermit Crabs and Snails for CUC

Coral Frags
Zoa Colony
Pulsing Xenia
Kenya Tree

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Update time:

The pulsing Xenia didn't make it, but it has been replaced with a candy cane. A colony of star polyps was just added yesterday as well, the rock they came on is covered with the purpelist coralline I've ever seen, I can't wait for it to spread. I couldn't ever get the dartfish to eat so I lost him, but additions since have been an orange spotted goby, an onyx black clownfish, and most recently a six-line wrasse. There is also a porcelain crab and fire shrimp roaming around now. I'll be adding more in the next couple of days too since a friend is tearing down his tank and is going to give me a few things out of it. Pics will follow soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store