Setup?

Benfica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2008
Ontario
Hey, I'm just trying to get back into fish keeping after I took down my last fish tank due to renovations. Now that everything is done i want to set it up again, but want to go down a different path preferably a basic plant tank.
I have a 38 gallon tank, with a marineland emperor 280 filter.

I'm just wondering what substrate would be best for the tank?
Should i get a new filter or what media filter should i use?
I heard that you do not need intense lighting if you do not have a co2 system, so would i need to upgrade to a better light. Not sure the kind of light i have atm, it is just a standard one that came with the hood.

Thanks again!

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
As for substrates. Its just a matter of opinion. Imo sand is easier to clean but I have both. My favorite hob filter is the aquaclear 70. Woulg be awesome for that tank

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Many plants won't grow to their full potential in sand, small gravel is best for them. As for light, I don't have a super strong one do I put my tank where sunlight from a window hits it, my plants thrive with no co2.

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
just thought of that lol, if you really want to keep a lot of good plants you can do dirt substrate, i don't but i know of some members here who do and have really cool plants

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
How basic do you want your tank?

If you go with Java fern(which came come attached to a rock), annubies which you can attach to drift wood, add a couple of moth balls,
tie some moss to a screen or rocks, and add some floating plants, your choice of substrats wouldn't matter...

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
I run both the 280 and the AC 70 on my 55 and the 70 is by far the superior filter, if your tank only has space for one filter i would for sure run the 70, but if you can run both do it!. the 280 could more than likely do the job depending on what you plan to keep in the tank. What is your stock going to be?

Benfica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2008
Ontario
The hood only has a cutout for one filter, but i could cut out another piece for the ac70 as well. Stock really thinking to much about atm because to cycle etc. Altough lots of neon/cardinals, and other tetras that will give a nice bright look. Going to go to the fish store to see if they have any 3d background. Or do you think i should paint the black of the tank blue/black?
Any suggestions for stock? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store