Severed Beardie Tail

Tiller11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
Kansas, United States
i have 2 juvie beardies... one is a little larger then the other and believed to be male while the other believed female. i went to the lake for a few days and came home yesterday went to feed them freeze dried meal worms and crickets since i couldnt get to the pet store to get live ones... and the "male" was biting the females tail. and there is the tip missing like a half inch or so nothing major. i just dont know if is goiing to get infected or what... what can i do to make sure this doesnt happen again. i am getting a bigger cage soon it is 6 by 2 deep and like a foot and a half tall. i am hoping that this will give her places to go but in the mean time is there medication or anything i could put on her tail or is it going to be fine by itself?

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
For starters, beardies really should be kept singly. Keeping a pair together is just asking for trouble. There's the tail/toe nipping you have to deal with when kept together but when they get older the male will CONSTANTLY attempt to display and breed with the female which will stress her even further. I would highly recommend keeping the two in separate tanks.

Natalie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2007
Florida
For starters, beardies really should be kept singly. Keeping a pair together is just asking for trouble. There's the tail/toe nipping you have to deal with when kept together but when they get older the male will CONSTANTLY attempt to display and breed with the female which will stress her even further. I would highly recommend keeping the two in separate tanks.
I couldn't have said it better myself. The root of the problem is housing the two of them together. They need to be separated.

Tiller11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
Kansas, United States
Ok well i dnt have a set up to make that possible at the moment... So in the mean time back to the ?... Do i need to do anythong special with her tail? Or "its" tail

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Are they being kept on sand? If so switch over to newspaper/ paper towels and apply some neosporin gel (not cream) to the tip of the tail to help it heal. If you are not going to house them separately at least feed them separately. As soon as you can though get them into different enclosures.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
If you don't have the ability to house things properly then you shouldn't have them. It's as simple as that. You need to fix the problem not just treat the symptoms. If you can't do that in any reasonable amount of time then you really need to do what is better for the beardie and find it an appropriate home.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
If you don't have the ability to house things properly then you shouldn't have them. It's as simple as that. You need to fix the problem not just treat the symptoms. If you can't do that in any reasonable amount of time then you really need to do what is better for the beardie and find it an appropriate home.

Ha should be a MFK disclaimer lol......id rather see 2 beardies in a 6' then AROS rays gatf etc in a 6'

Op: very easy to make a non toxic divided, 3' per beardy isn't horrible, just make sure they both have basking spots!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store