Severum

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
Evening Lads.

Cant pass up a nice severum ;-)

Afraid thought, its not a fish from the Rio tapajos. (see that black dot on the top of the flank/Dorsal fin? At the very end of the last stress bar?) Thats not present in fish from the tapajos.

Heres my male for compairson.

Now lets try and nail down what it actually is.

My initial feelings tend towards Peru and Rotkeil, but, lets be honest, at adult size, i'd be expecting to see a full red neck.

Heres a young male in my collection show off.

As you can see, the facial worming on the Tapajos fish is markedly differant to the rotkeil (much bigger, all joining into a facial mask) So lets rule out Tapajos based on that and the dorsal blotch.

We're looking at a fish with dense, but not joined facial markings, no red shoulder (although heavily marked in that area, which makes me think we've got a mix and match) and a fair nuchal hump, where the markings are stretched.

The only example i know where the hump deforms the markings is on the Manause specimins.

(excuse the colours, he's actually the same colour as the OP's fish, but the lighting was just right to catch the blues and greens ;) )

In a full blooded manause male, i'd 100% expect to see full body spots.

For my money, this fish is a cross breed between Rotkeil (Peru) and Manause (brazilia) Heros Efasciatus. Nothing wrong with that what so ever, and an absolutely lovely fish by the look of him.

Basically, it looks like the rotkeil has carried the genes for the half black bars, the final spot on the tail (check against my male again, its there) and the reddening of the shoulder, while the Manause has brought the heavy spotting, the nuchal hump markings, the back ground colouration and the temprement (they are FIESTY!!)

Its a bit of a sad fact truth be told, but any severum bought from a pet shop, without 110% trust and knowledge of its catch location, generally mean its a mish mash of various species (Its not a black mark against the supplier, but in all honest, there isn't a huge demand for wild caught Heros, and its simply cheaper and easier to tank breed them).

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

All the best
Craig Jackson

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
Mods/Admin - Can i ask why several pictures have been removed from my post? (namely the ones hosted on another forum domain)

It has, lets be honest, made my post next to useless without photos of my own fish for comparison.

I have not plugged another forum, nor have a suggested that anyone visits it (Its a completely differant scene to MFK) I simply used images hosted on their domain to help out a member of your online community.

I put alot of time and effort into that post to help the opening poster ID their fish, and, honestly, im more then a little narked at this rather narrow minded behaviour. Surely by removing the information that makes this post relivant, you have short changed a member of your own community, regardless of where the information was stored.

Please feel free to reply to this via PM.
Cheers
Craig

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
craig_uk;3719676; said:
Evening Lads.

Cant pass up a nice severum ;-)

Afraid thought, its not a fish from the Rio tapajos. (see that black dot on the top of the flank/Dorsal fin? At the very end of the last stress bar?) Thats not present in fish from the tapajos.

Heres my male for compairson.

Now lets try and nail down what it actually is.

My initial feelings tend towards Peru and Rotkeil, but, lets be honest, at adult size, i'd be expecting to see a full red neck.

Heres a young male in my collection show off.

As you can see, the facial worming on the Tapajos fish is markedly differant to the rotkeil (much bigger, all joining into a facial mask) So lets rule out Tapajos based on that and the dorsal blotch.

We're looking at a fish with dense, but not joined facial markings, no red shoulder (although heavily marked in that area, which makes me think we've got a mix and match) and a fair nuchal hump, where the markings are stretched.

The only example i know where the hump deforms the markings is on the Manause specimins.

(excuse the colours, he's actually the same colour as the OP's fish, but the lighting was just right to catch the blues and greens ;) )

In a full blooded manause male, i'd 100% expect to see full body spots.

For my money, this fish is a cross breed between Rotkeil (Peru) and Manause (brazilia) Heros Efasciatus. Nothing wrong with that what so ever, and an absolutely lovely fish by the look of him.

Basically, it looks like the rotkeil has carried the genes for the half black bars, the final spot on the tail (check against my male again, its there) and the reddening of the shoulder, while the Manause has brought the heavy spotting, the nuchal hump markings, the back ground colouration and the temprement (they are FIESTY!!)

Its a bit of a sad fact truth be told, but any severum bought from a pet shop, without 110% trust and knowledge of its catch location, generally mean its a mish mash of various species (Its not a black mark against the supplier, but in all honest, there isn't a huge demand for wild caught Heros, and its simply cheaper and easier to tank breed them).

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

All the best
Craig Jackson
I have a male with the black dorsal spot that was sold as collected in the the rio tapajos. It was a wild caught juvy so all I can go buy is what the vendor says. It looks almost identical to the OP's severum. Mine is about 7.5" and maybe has a little less red the OP's. Otherwise the barring and color patterns, fins are identical.

The OP's fish very well could be a cross but I wouldn't bet against it being a tapajos severum or a cross with a tapajos severum. I have 2 from that same batch from Jeff Rapps that were supposed to be tapajos collected and both have the black spot. He has to go by what the collectors say though so who really knows. In the end we are all just guessing without collection information though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store