Severums and angelfish - anyone tried/succeeded with this combo?

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
meghanashley;3739675; said:
Andrew/ Krista? Haha I hope so, otherwise I have a serious mental disorder that I should take care of ASAP. If it is you guys, you should sign up, I've been hoping to see you guys posting. Can't wait to see your setup soon. Take some pics and post them. Hope I'm not talking to myself here:nilly:
Hey, yeah it's us. We'll sign up soon and get some pics up here. Get yourself down to Flemington to see the tank!:)

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It all boils down to the personality of the fish. All of my severums are currently living with angels. I have wild Peruvian angels in my 150 with my larger severums and some domestic gold marble angels in a 55 gallon with a 6" male severum. I was originally going to give the angels away but I think I'll be moving them to my 210 gallon with the other severums when I finally get it running. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

MeiTnerium109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
USA
meghanashley;3739603; said:
Any idea if you can keep Green Severum Cichlids with Sailfin Mollies? Or is that a recipe for disaster? Just starting a new tank and I have 2 green sevs and am trying to see what peaceful fish I can mix in. Gourami's too maybe?
The difference is that angelfish are cichlids from the same area. It's believable that they've encountered each other in the wild.

jumpin joe fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Illinois
I have 4 angels and 2 severums in a 125g with blk skrt tetras and clown loaches as well. Always has been peaceful. Ive always had mellow severums

Meowmix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Does anyone know if an angelfish and a severum could breed? or atleast be interested in doing so? I have a 3.5 " severum and an 2" angelfish that are always at each others side. The severum sometimes shakes a bit too, which i read could be a part of courtship.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ They cannot breed. Is it possible that it's more of a territorial/dominance thing? I've seen my severums shake and tail-slap at other fish when they're hoarding food, etc.

keni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
new york
i have 2 black angels with a silver aro, id shark, florida gar, bgk, tsn, 2 pleco, and 2 retic rays in a 300g.

IvyAlyse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Cheney, WA
I would not suggest putting gouramis in with your severums. I tried a dwarf gourami and a golden serverum and the serverum picked on the gourami to the point that I had to move the gourami to a differnt tank. It may work with a larger guorami though.

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
I would not suggest putting gouramis in with your severums. I tried a dwarf gourami and a golden serverum and the serverum picked on the gourami to the point that I had to move the gourami to a differnt tank. It may work with a larger guorami though.
Both sevs and gourami have the potential to be mean SOB's, if they take a dislike to another fish.
Mixing them can work though. I currently have two large sevs, in separate tanks. One is in with a large female moonlight gourami. The other is in with a sub-adult male opaline. Was never any proplem with these particular fish. I think one will have more problems trying to keep multiple gourami together.
And the sev in with the large moonlight (5"+) is also usually particularly territorial towards other cichlids approaching his size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store