sex my texas cichlid

phillybob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2007
pa
Please help me to sex this fish. I bought it from petsmart and they said it is a texas. is it a male or female?20170131_072903 (1).jpg 20170131_072843.jpg

phillybob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2007
pa
Looks more like a RED Texas rather than a Texas.........Red Texas is actually a hybrid
thank you for your reply. yes, they labled it as red texas but the store associate sold it to me as a texas for 8 dollars. there is a much smaller one there and he said that one is a red texas. is it a male or female?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
thank you for your reply. yes, they labled it as red texas but the store associate sold it to me as a texas for 8 dollars. there is a much smaller one there and he said that one is a red texas. is it a male or female?
looks male, but it's definitely not a pure Texas. LFS should be fined for selling hybrids as pure strains

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It also looks male to me.
The deeply sloping profile is a male trait, and there doesn't appear to be a black spot in the dorsal.
Here are a couple examples
male Herichthys carpintus chairel

female, note the more torpedo shaped profile, and dark color in the dorsal (this female is in breeding color)

another female not spawning, and o male in the tank.

below a male in spawning color

Wesley G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2018
Amazing fish and amazing price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store