Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
?
so female don't get any blue? I'm still learning Dovii and RTMs.......and Friedrichsthali and Loiselle's too for that matter.......what are the main keys to sexing Dovii and how big do they need to be???
Well I find you can normally sex them at around the 5" mark or before that some times frank, females do get some bluing on there fins but that comes with age/size and type(nic, Costa Rican etc....) the easiest way I find to spot a male at a small size is small black spots on the Gill plate, or on there body in general but IME it normally occurs first around the Gill plate area first, females in most cases are always very yellow in comparison with males also, even at relatively small sizes you can distinguish the colour difference quite easily, if you had 10 at 5" if you know what I mean, obviously males also grow way quicker even all small sizes I've found, hope this helps

Reactions: ehh

Dae dae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2016
Thank yaw I been tryin to figure it because it's in the tank with a flowerhorn I believed to be a female 2 but one laid eggs but didn't hatch I tried to add males but the flowerhorn try's to kill them all it only tolerate the dovii and the 2 gars

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Thank yaw I been tryin to figure it because it's in the tank with a flowerhorn I believed to be a female 2 but one laid eggs but didn't hatch I tried to add males but the flowerhorn try's to kill them all it only tolerate the dovii and the 2 gars
Well I would suggest adding a bigger Dovii but you will just have the same problem, he would just kill everything so that won't work, if I were you I'd separate them keep the flowerhorn with the 2 gars if that currently working , put the Dovii in a separate tank and find her a male maybe it's up to you buddy

Dae dae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2016
Well I would suggest adding a bigger Dovii but you will just have the same problem, he would just kill everything so that won't work, if I were you I'd separate them keep the flowerhorn with the 2 gars if that currently working , put the Dovii in a separate tank and find her a male maybe it's up to you buddy
image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store