Sexing peacocks?

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
Are you asking about peacock bass (cichla) or peacock cichlids? The question seems unclear and I wanted to be sure you were asking in the best place to get an expert answer

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I'd assuming since he has cichla, and since he posted in a cichla section, he's referring to to cichla

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Id have have assume Peacock Bass as its the Cichla section.
Males have pointed fins, bigger head with a kok (although females can have a slight lump) and are larger.... well this is the case in my Bahia!
You could see a clear difference in sexes at around 10". Hope this helps :)

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
Sorry jay and garret, didn't mean anything by it, just wanted to be sure because it would definitely not be the first time a peacock cichlid question was asked here.

GarretTrezona

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Miami,Fl
Sorry for not being specific, I was referring to peacock bass, mono's to be exact. I have two 3 inchers and was just wondering since this is my first time ever keeping this species.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
No worries garret, I didn't want to come off as rude either. I just wanted to be sure you would get the answers you were looking for.

Mono's are generally some of the easier cichla to sex and jayclarke hit the nail on the head with what has been my experience, sometimes the lump on the head doesn't show till 12" but at 10" generally is a good size that they start showing. Enjoy your new cichla!

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Females don't always have small nuchal humps, my female is in fact my largest PB - not sure if she's an exception to a rule though

I'd pay particular attention to the fin.

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store