Share pictures of your Salvini cichlids

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
I'd like to get a female to pair up with my male, but finding one big enough is an issue. I worry about how we'll they'll get along. I like my male's personality but its colors are somewhat suppressed and I assume that's because it doesn't have a mate to show off for.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
i really like salvini's if i get a bigger tank i would probe get one....how do they get on with other fish? my current stock is listed below. I hear the can be a bit aggressive?

shinigamiric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2008
texas
Bigtdotcom;4288968; said:
i really like salvini's if i get a bigger tank i would probe get one....how do they get on with other fish? my current stock is listed below. I hear the can be a bit aggressive?
for salvini, its always better to get a 75+ planted tank. since they are cichlids they will dig up some plants but they lov having some in the tank.
salvinis are nasty little fish wen it comes to adding new fish. if u raise them as babies with other fish, they will survive but if u try to add a new fish to a salvini tank, it better be a larger, more aggressive fish. my salvini killed several african cichlids, his mate and finally an albino oscar(same size as him)
even after all this i still love him :D

shinigamiric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2008
texas
dent20;4286886; said:
I'd like to get a female to pair up with my male, but finding one big enough is an issue. I worry about how we'll they'll get along. I like my male's personality but its colors are somewhat suppressed and I assume that's because it doesn't have a mate to show off for.
the colors in the pic i showed are because he was guarding the eggs which the blood parrot laid. their colors only show off much when they are in breeding mode :p so yea, getting a mate would help but be careful, if he doesnt like the mate, shes done for...

pengu13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
canada
Here is one of my salvini's, i just found these eggs today, they are already wigglers. hope this spawn works
Sorry for the not great pics.:headshake

P7150005.JPG

P7160011.JPG

Biggfeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
SoCal
those are some biggg salvinis!!! i have one, hes been about 2-3 inches for the past year or so lol... not really a fast grower, but hopefully he'll get bigger like the ones here soon

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
2-3 inches for salvini after a year... somethings gotta be wrong. they should be full grown by now. whats the tank size for him and the parimeter?

Biggfeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
SoCal
i think the problem was that he wasnt eating much... hes doin good now, originally he was in a 125 with other cichlids, but he spent his days hidin behind a piece of driftwood and would rarely come out, id say about 2-3 times a week to eat only, but now hes in a 60 with a severum who doesnt bother him so he's out and about and eats twice a day... im sure he'll do fine. Im not sure what the exact parameters are in the tank, but we have a mota, loiselle, oscar and also had a jag & jd in the 125 all growing strong whn he was in it

Biggfeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
SoCal
he also suffered a traumatic tail loss about 3 months ago, cuz he decided to hide in an ornament and got stuck in it.. had to break the ornament just to get him out, and in the process he lost his tail, but its grown back not no problem too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store