Sharks in Captivity?

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Most of the small sharks are subtropical, and I would recommend starting with a tropical one for a first shark. There are four common ones that you will encounter: The brown banded bamboo, the white spotted bamboo, the epaulette, and the coral catshark. These are all benthic, which means bottom dwelling, and will spend most of the time resting on the bottom. The coral catshark is the only one of these four that stays under three feet in length, maxing out around 24", but it is also the most active and swims in the water column rather than scooting on the substrate.

I keep coral catsharks and they can make a 180 look small. A better off the shelf tank for one would be the Marineland deep demension 300. A larger acrylic or glass tank is good too. Many shark keepers have shark ponds, which is a lower cost way to have more space. Bigger is always better with a shark and they will never complain about extra room.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It was an awesome experience having a hatchling shark:). Told another member who is a good friend of mine that I may one day do salt again.
I know what you mean,I'm always tempted to start up a salt tank when I see a little bamboo in a shop.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Deep deep pockets,Matt do you now if any of them have a zebra shark in their collection?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
My LFS has two "Australian walking sharks" don't quote me on the name but they're cool to watch. Idk how big they get or the common name but they're in a display tank that's probably a 200g. They also have a giant shark tank with I think black tips in it with a giant grouper.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
If you have enogh money, keeping any shark is a possibility lol. I have been in the hobby since i was 7 and keeping sharks was the last frontier i tackled. Main thing is to have the correct siZe tank and equipment and that all depends on what animal you actually are trying to keep. Most sharks commonly sold are cat shark species and wont require more than a 120 gal tank. Some specialty shops carry horn shark species which are very friendly and is really a fish with personality. They will be better suited in a 300-500 gal tank. The smallest shark you can keep that most people would recognize as a real shark is the smooth hound, or dog fish shark. They swim alot and will need a large tank or they bump their faces into the glass constatly so a 400-500 gal tank would be suitable for an adult. Ive also done a few larger species, guitar sharks are really cool and their body shape is impressive. But these big boys will need something close to 800-1000 gallons at an adult size. Black tip and white tip reef sharks do well in captivity if given the proper size home as well but eatch your fingers with these. Bonnet heads are like miniature hammer heads, they will get about 5-6 feet but will need a circular tank or they damage their heads hitting corners. Also the tank will need to be more like 1200-2000 gallons for this animal or they get "hook body" which happens if they can stretch their body and just are swimming in a curled position all day. My favorite species for a serious aquarist is a nurse shark. They can live in something about 600-1000 gallons and are extremely personable. My experience with them is they are like underwater puppies. I had one for a while that would eat from my hand and let me take him out of the water and give him kisses and he never bit my face. I got my fingers chomped a few times, but its expected if your hand feeding a shark. Hope this helped

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
Australian walking shark is the common name, they are similar to epulette sharks but they are actually 2 different species.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
My favorite species for a serious aquarist is a nurse shark. They can live in something about 600-1000 gallons and are extremely personable.
I assume you mean the short tail nurse shark in a 6-1000 gallon? My 8ftx6ft would be the smallest tank I would consider putting that shark in at 1000 Gallons.

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
If you have enogh money, keeping any shark is a possibility lol. I have been in the hobby since i was 7 and keeping sharks was the last frontier i tackled. Main thing is to have the correct siZe tank and equipment and that all depends on what animal you actually are trying to keep. Most sharks commonly sold are cat shark species and wont require more than a 120 gal tank. Some specialty shops carry horn shark species which are very friendly and is really a fish with personality. They will be better suited in a 300-500 gal tank. The smallest shark you can keep that most people would recognize as a real shark is the smooth hound, or dog fish shark. They swim alot and will need a large tank or they bump their faces into the glass constatly so a 400-500 gal tank would be suitable for an adult. Ive also done a few larger species, guitar sharks are really cool and their body shape is impressive. But these big boys will need something close to 800-1000 gallons at an adult size. Black tip and white tip reef sharks do well in captivity if given the proper size home as well but eatch your fingers with these. Bonnet heads are like miniature hammer heads, they will get about 5-6 feet but will need a circular tank or they damage their heads hitting corners. Also the tank will need to be more like 1200-2000 gallons for this animal or they get "hook body" which happens if they can stretch their body and just are swimming in a curled position all day. My favorite species for a serious aquarist is a nurse shark. They can live in something about 600-1000 gallons and are extremely personable. My experience with them is they are like underwater puppies. I had one for a while that would eat from my hand and let me take him out of the water and give him kisses and he never bit my face. I got my fingers chomped a few times, but its expected if your hand feeding a shark. Hope this helped
Where are you getting your information from??? Horn sharks in a 300 gallon??? Heck no. Cat Sharks in a 120 gallon??? Heck no. 400 gallon for a smooth hound or dogfish??? Heck no! Guitarfish in a 800 gallon??? Nope. Black tips, bonnetheads, white tips in a 1200 gallon???? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Nurse shark in a 600 gallon??? No. Just no. This is what shark keeping in the 1970s looked like. Now with knowing about proper swim patterns and energy requirements, this is absolutely false.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store