She's got the Cotton-wool

cszachury

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just treated for ich, ray's tankmates is showing Flexibacter columnaris :(. Going to treat with salt, but treatment requires lowering temperature below 77. Will this be alright for my ray? He's a humerosa. Tankmates showing are parrot cichlid, and green sev. Will lowering the temperature affect the ray drastically? Chills? Anything like that. Current water is 80.2

Salt for treatment will be : 1 tsp to 5gal. Is this adequate?

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
i think haveing the temp at 77 or a few degrees below will be ok for awhile
whats going on with your tank ich now this?
and just follow directions on the box i think it was 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons can't remember?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Maybe isolate and QT the cichlids..? less costly and more effective, less chance of stressing the ray with un-wanted meds, or messing with your much needed bio-filter..

Cichlids are hardy and can withstand being put in cramped quarters, when a ray can't.. how big are they? Got an extra 20g long?

As far as lowering the temp it shouldn't be much an issue, just keep in mind that drastic temp swings are stressful, especially downward.. and that it effects metabolism so you're ray might not eat through treatment.. be ready to pump it back up afterwards.

cszachury

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Miles, only a spare 10 gal. My parrots are 7 inches each and my geen sev is 10" ish. On the ten, I believe theres a leak 3/4 the way up on the seam. Not up and running/cycled.

Is this the type of illness that is in the water? Are all fish going to get it? The tank is a 180 andI've been changing 30-40 gallons every second day.

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
i would just keep up on the water changes to keep the water nice and clean large water changes 50% and have you ever considered a uv sterilizer they work great imo but can be expensive it will help kill any unwanted bacteria etc.... and will make it easier for u instead of useing meds salt etc....
i don't ever use meds personally just water changes and a uv never have issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store