Shifting tanks around

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
I am moving my planted set up over to my 125 and am wondering what would be the best substrate. I've done eco complete and it's okay but am looking for something a little better. I've seen the reviews on ada soil but is it really that much better?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
ADA Aquasoil is pretty much top of the line when it comes to planted substrates... But, it has a couple major flaws to it...

1) It leaches ammonia for the first couple of weeks

2) It eventually breaks down, and you never know when it'll happen...

ADA Aquasoil breaks down over time, I've seen people say 3 months, some have said it lasted a year, some has said there's lasted for 3 years so it's a hit or miss with the time frame.

I personally prefer Flourite planted substrate in a 70/30 mix - 70% Flourite / 30% FloraMax for my planted aquariums. Flourite can be used over, and over for years which is why I like it.

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
I have heard mixed reviews on caping with sand. Doesn't the smaller pieces just slowly go to the bottom? Only concern is that eventually all the sand will be under it all.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I would go ada soil, i love it I think it looks great and is good quality. If anything breaks down I gravel vac anyway and get loose sediments out

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Ada soil is a top choice for sure because of all the nutrients included plus the look is awesome. Only disadvantage is it turns to mud at some point which means buying more and filling a 125 gallon isn't cheap

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Don't use ADA soil. You'll hate yourself for it. I sure did.
Besides, it's like a mud storm if you have catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store