Short body red tail catfish

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I know this is controversial subject but I wondered what people's thoughts are on them, and if anyone keeps them on here

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
To each its own. I'd much prefer they didn't exist altogether.

What info are you looking for? Biology, care, etc.? I've seen very few of them on MFK and cannot think of a current active member who has one. Neither of anyone who's had one long term. I suspect they don't last and perish easy, much, much easier than normal RTC, with all their health problems etc. I'd not expect them to live over 5-10 years.

I remember only one as of recent but it was one for sale in the Marketplace section recently. IDK if it sold. The owner was responsive to questions.

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015

What info are you looking for? Biology, care, etc.? I've seen very few of them on MFK and cannot think of a current active member who has one. Neither of anyone who's had one long term. I suspect they don't last and perish easy, much, much easier than normal RTC, with all their health problems etc. I'd not expect them to live over 5-10 years.

I remember only one as of recent but it was one for sale in the Marketplace section recently. IDK if it sold. The owner was responsive to questions.
I was intrested in people's experiences and mfk was my best bet. I guessed care was the same just tank size smaller

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I also have a possible supplier at good prices for em and I could never house a full size rtc so was hoping this was an option

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ

I respect your opinion more then most but I think they are a much better option for the avg monster keeper as a full size RTC is a lot to handle. The reason i searched for a SBRTC was exactly this.. i thought i could responsibly house for life , and i could of , but when my rays became sexually active I needed the space. A large red tail at a local store when i was a child is what sparked my hobby as they are an incredible animal but unfortunately unrealistic to even the top of the hobby. As far as keepers I think vincentwugwg vincentwugwg has a few and our vendor F fenderwai brought them in not to long ago.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I respect your opinion more than most ...
Ditto, brother! There is room for all of us on MFK :)
I was intrested in people's experiences and mfk was my best bet. I guessed care was the same just tank size smaller
Care is not the same in the sense that SBRTCs backbone is folded over many times and his internal organs are the same size as normal RTC, barely fitting in the abdominal cavity, AFAIU.

Most common reason people lose mature RTCs is to overfeeding. Multiply that by 1000x for SBRTC.

Most people treat RTC as a bullet-proof, very hardy fish. SBRTC with all its problem and weak areas is ~1000x less hardy.

So I think the care is not the same.

But don't go by my suppositions of someone who's never had a SBRTC. I'd trust UnstoppableJay much more as he has kept one and in general he is more experienced, much longer-time keeper than me.

vincentwugwg vincentwugwg is pretty active too so he should chime in. I forgot he keeps them.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store