should i be worried about biofilm in my planted hob filter?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
on my 55g i have a hob filter with several monstera and pothos vines growing out of it to help balance the water chemistry since its ratger heavily stocked. i looked in there and there was quite the biofilm building in the filter. im pretty positive its from putting pellets in the outflow of the filter and some landing behind the divider because i see one floating with mold on it either that or some old roots are dying. anyway i had heard that biofilm can create allot of co2 depleting oxygen which can kill beneficial bacteria and is bad for the fish. but i was also thinking that since its in with plants that use up so much nutrients and co2 is this something to worry about it. pretty positive the organics in most my water column are relatively low

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Tds meter will tell you how much dissolve solids are in your aquarium water when compared to its source water. At 50 ppm above source, it’s time for a water change for my tank.

i know submerged plants will consume CO2 from the water when it has light. But I don’t think monstera and pothos do that

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i dont plan on my nitrates exceeding 20ppm because i do waterchanges about every two days. philodendrons most definitely pull a large amount of co2 through their root system thats why in plant “air purifiers” they move air through the root system with a fan(this would only make a difference in a closed system so it doesnt actually make a difference in something like a house) but an aquarium is a closed system so it must have an effect. the tank is stocked with medium sized cichlids and other semi aggressive fish.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store