Should I Move Her?

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I agree, use a plastic container to move them.
If I ca find one the right size. Otherwise I'll go for the quick netting. I would literally net her, take 2 steps and she'd be in the new tank. Might be less stressful (for her and me) than fighting with a tub and trying to chase her into it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
A quick netting won't be very quick of she gets a barb tangled in the net. Last time I moved my ray I used a 5 gallon bucket. I slowly corralled him in a corner and then he swam right into the bucket. It's worth a shot and a lot less stressful than using a net.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Congrats in the future pups. Flamenco, is this female the one that had a litter with you? Any idea on the age and origin of these hystrix?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Rubber nets are the best investment for your fish

A quick netting won't be very quick of she gets a barb tangled in the net. Last time I moved my ray I used a 5 gallon bucket. I slowly corralled him in a corner and then he swam right into the bucket. It's worth a shot and a lot less stressful than using a net.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Made the move. She was out of water for maybe 10 seconds. I netted her and slowly lifted her to the surface and maneuvered the net so she was centered in it then quickly lifted her out and over to the new tank. No thrashing about. She was eating an hour later.

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
I've seen videos on youtube of people buying huge fish bags and just putting in right into the aquarium and corralling the fish into it. seems pretty non invasive

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I've seen videos on youtube of people buying huge fish bags and just putting in right into the aquarium and corralling the fish into it. seems pretty non invasive
This is what I have done.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Doing well. Hystrix seem to take twice as long for gestation (150 days) as other rays so she isn't quite half way yet. I'll try to grab some pics of her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store