Should I remove or repair this overflow box?

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
To keep it simple I picked up an acrylic 100g tank a few weeks ago and I'm doing restoration on it now. The previous owner installed a DIY overflow but his work is horrible. He cut up the acrylic pretty good, the lines on the box are uneven, and the silicone or glue that he used is not keeping the box together. I want to remove it and clean th area up a bit but I don't how important having 2 overflow boxes vs 1 is( he tank originally had 1). My sump will probably be 45-55g and there's 1 Oscar going in this tank.

Thoughts? Here's some pics. The other overflow box is black by the way

image.jpg

image.jpg

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Depends on what size pump you are going to run and what size bulkhead it has. I personally would just order a new overflow box off ebay and glue it in and run both

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Depends on what size pump you are going to run and what size bulkhead it has. I personally would just order a new overflow box off ebay and glue it in and run both
I believe the bulkhead is 1 1/2" and I was planning on running something like a 200-250gph pump, unless there is a need to go bigger for a tank like this
I'm mainly a pond guy and this is my first real set up and I just want to do it right and have it look clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store