Should I repair my current tank or use the glass for a plywood build?

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
I have a 240 gallon tank. The bottom cracked because the garage had an uneven crack in it I guess. I can move the tank to flat ground, but that doesn't fix the crack on it's own :p

The tank is quite squarish. Which I PREFER to long tanks.
52.5x32.5x32 inches. The front of it is hexagonal. It was a fish store display tank.

Well, my idea is to take off a 32x52.5-ish piece of glass, and use it for the front of a plywood tank.

My idea is making a plywood box 50x40x40.

I'm worried that if I did try to repair my glass tank, it could come apart worse without the bottom support being tip-top. Then ultimately breaking more glass.

It's in a garage, by the way. So the flood wasn't an issue. There's like a 2" concrete wall all the way around my garage floor. Safe-ish!
But I did lose my 2yr old Dovii :(

Whatcha guys think?
I was thinking about going with Pond Shield epoxy or Permadri Pond coat (liquid rubber). There's Permadri Pond Coat dealers in my area. The only problem is trying to silicone the glass to the pond coat right? I read somewhere the silicone doesn't stick to pond coat/rubber liquids.
The flexibility of the two sounded cool. Even though I'll probably wrap my tank in 2x4s :p

Anyway, repair the tank or build a bigger plywood tank?
I am a monster fish keeper (doviis/jaguars).

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
ouch borken bottom on a hex tank doesn't sound like fun. I say to the ply tank and make it bigger, bigger I say. 52.5x32.5x32.5 to 50x40x40 isn't enough of a jump. 50 x 60 x 60 at least.

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
Should I buy 2 of the 1.5qts of Pond Shield?
What color do you guys think I should go for the Pond Shield? Are they any colors that look horrible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store