Should I rescue this fish?

ktluvsfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Southern CA
There is a lady on Craigslist selling a Texas Cichlid in a 10 gallon tank. I feel so bad, and I really want to give the fish a better home. However, if I put him in any of my tanks, they will be very overstocked. My 75 CA tank has a pair of nics, a green flier cichlid, a firemouth, and a jade eye cichlid. My 118 has an Oscar, Synspillum, Severum, Pearsei, and Salvini already. Any of my other tanks are absolutely out of the question. Would rescuing this fish be pushing my already overstocked tanks to their limits? The poor thing must be miserable in that tiny tank :(

ktluvsfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Southern CA
Silk;3609398; said:
Get another tank and go for it!!!!
Lol, that's my problem. I am literally out of wall space and surfaces to set tanks on. 14 tanks in a 2 bedroom apartment is a tight squeeze lol. I am just torn because I want to do what's best for my fish, but at the same time I feel so bad for this little texas doomed in a tiny 10g.

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Get the fish and see how it goes in the 118. You shouldn't have any problems as long as the filtration is adequate. If there is a real problem with Bio filtration then you can just add another filter.

Diverite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Flower Mound, Tx
For real though, don't run the risk of messing up your other tanks and stressing the other fish. Think of your children you already have...I mean fish

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Diverite;3609431; said:
For real though, don't run the risk of messing up your other tanks and stressing the other fish. Think of your children you already have...I mean fish

that's a good point and I agree with it. but at the same time I can also sympathize with the OP. if nothing else you could get the texas and hold on to it and try to find someone more responsible to care for it.

that's what i did with this oscar. a coworker had a 10-11" albino oscar that she and her husband didn't really want anymore her husband was going to put it in the pond behind their house. mind you this was back in like march, when it was still in the 30's-40's outside. i still have it in my 125 but plan on trying to find someone in one of the local fish clubs who might want it.

:)

Dillingerescaped

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
United States
if I were in your position, I would take the texas and put it in your 118. As long as its filtered, see how it goes. Ive seen tanks smaller then yours with Texas cichlids, oscars and salvinis. If it works, awesome. If not, try and rehome it.
But it would appreciate the space I would think.

ktluvsfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Southern CA
Thanks for all the responses. I just called the number and the fish was sold in the 10 gallon tank yesterday :( Poor fish, but I guess we can't save them all...

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
well maybe he got lucky and the person knows the requirements and is putting him in a bigger tank... Hopefully

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store