Should the bioballs be 100% submerged in my sump?

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have been reading threads about filtration, sumps, bio-balls, sponges etc...and in some of the pictures posted, I notice that people have their bioballs/ scrubbies fully submerged.

Ive had a sump on my 265g for 2 yrs now and have simply left it the way I initially set it up (I just set it up as the guy that had the tank prior to me did.)

The picture below has a yellow line marking the water level that I keep the sump at. Its done like this so that there is enough space in the sump for the overflow when/if the power goes out.

are the bioballs not submerged/ being used completely useless? should they be submerged?

The water goes through the filter pads up top, drizzles over the bioballs into the sump (bioballs are sitting on eggcrate keeping them off the bottom of the sump.

I guess I just feel like there could be a more economical/ useful setup in the sump to gain more BB usage...and dont know how to implement it.

Any suggestions/ comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
TStephens;4590999; said:
Nope, bioballs work the best when there not submerged, BB love the extra oxygen.
ken 429;4591163; said:
the trick is to make sure all of them are getting wet any dry ones are useless
GhostShrimpMan;4591169; said:
Thanks guys! Good to know.

cichlidude;4591180; said:
Why don't you have a simply siphon break to stop any overflow when you lose power?????
The sump worked as designed since the day I set it up so I felt no need to do anything more. The tank has 2 overflows, the sump has a low enough volume that when the power is cut, the overflowing water only fills up about 2/3 of the sump.

Is there any reason that I would need a simple siphon break in addition?

jakepittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
ireland
TStephens;4590999; said:
Nope, bioballs work the best when there not submerged, BB love the extra oxygen.
are bioballs in canister external filters not submerged in water all the time?:confused:

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
jakepittbull;4591903; said:
are bioballs in canister external filters not submerged in water all the time?:confused:
They are, that is why wet/dry systems offer superior bio-filtration. The bioballs will still work completely submerged but not as well.

jakepittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
ireland
bbortko;4591966; said:
They are, that is why wet/dry systems offer superior bio-filtration. The bioballs will still work completely submerged but not as well.
thanks, you learn something new everyday!!!!!;)

Starship

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2017
So then, bio balls in a 5 gal bucket, bottom 2 or 3 inches submerged, the rest on top trickle fed. Still effective filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store