SHOW ME YOUR BLACK TIP SHARKS.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
As Matt pointed out - Black tips & Black tip reefs are two different species of sharks.

Black tips - are a global species that can reach more than 8ft long, and tend to be very difficult to keep in captivity(even for public aquariums).

Black tip Reefs - are an Indo-Pacific species, that rarely exceeds 6ft in length. This species also seems to adapt very well to captivity - given enough space. They are regularly found in Public Aquariums.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I was given a female black tip wash up on the beach last week. Just shy of 5 feet long. Did the necropsy to investigate her over all heath since she looked thick and happy. Turned out she was pregnant (2 males and 2 females), and died from a hook lodged in her throat. Saddest part for me was that if she had died and the body had been found sooner, her pups were far enough along we may have had a chance to save her.

capo larzo

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2009
New York
So its safe to say a fishermen caught her and rather than remove the hook he just cut the line?? Resulting in her later death. What a shame.

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
Yes, they do it ALL THE TIME in saltwater fishing. They claim the hook will *rust away* within a few days. I always thought it was BS. More or less every fishing show I watch where they catch sharks they just cut the line, it pisses me off...

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
the hook will disolve in the sea water as long as there using galvanized hooks, but in using galvanized hooks they will be ruined after use and have to be thrown away after use so most probably dont use them. this is just my opinion on the matter i dont have anything to back this up since i live in iowa.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yes it was cut - the metal lead had tool marks from being cut.

There are hooks that disolve in saltwater. The big thing many fisherman forget is THERE IS NO SALT WATER FLOWING IN THE STOMACH OF A SHARK.

This hook had torn up most of her throat and lodged itself in the top part of the stomach. There was no way it was in contact with salt water, and any hook taken this deep would completly lacerate the GI tract, causing these animals to bled out.
There were signs of clotting around the tip, which had punctured the stomach wall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store