MFK Member
May 2, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello! Recently my betta (Monet) has been lethargic, hanging out at the bottom, propping herself up on gravel, not interested in doing much of anything. She'll eat at food when it's near her, but will hardly bother to come to the top for it. I've checked her over and she's breathing slowly, in a relaxed way, and has no problem with balance while swimming. I see no wounds nor protruding scales, and she seems to be physically in good condition, if a bit thin.

A few days ago I moved her to a larger (100 gal) aquarium I've been setting up, and noticed what looked to be an anchor worm attached on the left of her head, by her gills.
I gave her a salt bath 2 days ago (1.5 tablespoons of aquarium salt in 1 gallon of aquarium water, for 7 minutes), and she had no negative reaction to it, and I have not seen the worm since then.

I don't know how long it was there before I noticed, nor if it's permanently gone now, but she's still not very active. I find her at different spots along the bottom of the tank during the day, but she hides a lot and hardly swims off the gravel at all.

There is a common pleco (RB) in this tank as well, along with many baby snails. I don't see any worms on the pleco.

What can I do for her that won't harm the other creatures? I'm beginning to wonder if there was a worm at all....
And how can I be sure there are no anchor worms in the tank she was in a few days ago (that now has nothing living in it besides some moss and a couple pieces of moneywort)? I'm hoping to adopt some female guppies, after this is over, and want to quarantine them there before adding them to the main tank.

Any help appreciated!

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 8.12.57 PM.png

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a couple wild fish arrive with Lernaea.
IMG_7377.jpegIMG_7264.jpegIMG_7384.jpeg
Since adults are difficult to kill chemically, I removed them with a tweezers, and treated the tank a little over 3 lbs of salt per 100 gallons to kill any emerging juvie Lernaea.
IMG_0684.jpeg

Aqui

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I thought about pulling it off of him, but don't want the worm to take any flesh with it, or risk damaging his gills. I'd rather it die and fall off, if possible.

Mostly I'm concerned with his behavior right now. Barely saw him at all today, so much time hiding and not moving much.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Thanks for your reply. I thought about pulling it off of him, but don't want the worm to take any flesh with it, or risk damaging his gills. I'd rather it die and fall off, if possible.

Mostly I'm concerned with his behavior right now. Barely saw him at all today, so much time hiding and not moving much.
Sounds maybe like it is internal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store