Sick Blue Ram

Zenz

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2008
Portland, OR
Last week I noticed that my male blue ram was colorless, had nipped fins and was swimming with back tail up higher than it should be.

I have posted on other forums and consulted lfs and nobody seemed to know the problem.

My water tests fine consistently. My tank has been very stable for quite some time. No new fish have been added and nothing has died since 2008. I do weekly (occasionally bi-weekly) water changes, etc.

I saw that it was the female blue ram who was nipping the male's fins. Previous to this, the male definitely dominated and the reason the female was nipping was because the male was sick. She had eggs and he wasn't doing his job of making a spot for them, etc so she nipped him.

I currently have him in a 6 gallon qt. I gave him a melafix bath and then treated the qt tank with praxipro. It's going on 3 days of the praxipro and he does not look better.

He does eat but seems a little confused and only eats if it is right in front of his face. His poop is long and kind of inconsistent where it looks regular and then skinny and then regular but it is the proper color.

I am wondering if the fact that he is swimming with back tail very high is a clue for something?

What should be my next step to treat/save him? I don't think it's internal parasites.

Thank you!!

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Pictures!! Sounds like a spinal deformity. Quarantine this fish IMMEDIATELY. If it means putting him it a bucked it means putting him in a bucket... I suspect fish tuberculosis which is a internal bacterial infection. I currently have an infected tank and I'm testing possible treatments.

Try to get some pictures so we can be sure, then move the fish and perform large water changes.

Edit: I also think blue rams are more easily infected than other fish. Because having 3 rams die from this, they always seemed to get infected first.

Zenz

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2008
Portland, OR
He is in a QT tank and being treated with praxipro for internal parasites but doesn't seem to be getting better. Here is a photo.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
I don't think it's tuberculosis anymore. Keep a close eye and watch for other symptoms.
Do you notice the fish getting any skinnier? Possibly more towards the spinal area?
Did you add some salt and raise the temperature?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store