CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
Hey guys! new comer here:)

My electric blue jack dempsey is showing symptoms of being sick but I'm not sure what he has. He is living in a 125 gallon aquarium with 1 blood parrot - 3 inches, 3 angelfish 2.5-3 inches, a common pleco 7 inches, 5 zebra danios and 1 otocinclus catfish ( I haven't been able to find anymore).

He is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches and I've read everywhere that they tend to die off when young, which is why I'm so worried.

He has been hiding a lot and has clamped fins, also he tends to spasm in place and also rub agains decor. I was having issues with my water (ammonia spike in cycled tank of 0,25 ppm, tank has only been running for about 3 months). I fixed this issues with daily water changes of 30-40 gallons, thorough gravel vacuuming and I started dosing prime to detoxify any ammonia that might build up.
Still, right now he isn't moving much and isn't coming out to eat. He seemed to be doing better in the morning but is in worse condition at the moment.

I saw him scratch for the first time about a month ago, but it happened so little and so sporadically, that when I looked it up all sites said it was pretty normal (once every few days). Then two days ago he started flashing violently and hiding most of the time, only coming a few minutes and then going back into hiding for hours. And when he does come out he seems very itchy and uncomfortable.

None of the other fish is showing signs of illness or discomfort, and I haven't noticed any aggression. I only saw my BP chase him away twice and it was while feeding (it was only a warning tho, the BP didn't even touch him either time).

My water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0,25ppm with Prime
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
I checked on him again and he is pecking at the subtrate, I assume he’s eating, and he has a little thread of white poop attached to his butt. :(

Should I assume its internal parasites and start treating the aquarium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store