Sick Oscar

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
one of my oscars is not acting himself. the last few days hes been belly in the graval most of the day, not eating very activley,and his mouth is open. there are no signs of parasite or any damage from the other fish. any advie is greatly appreciated.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
He might be stressed or your tank is going through its cycle.. whats the temp on the tank maybe hes not getting enough air also pics would help.
try some water changes add a little bit of salt and turn down the temp if its high

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
The temp is 79 the fish has been in the tank for close to a year. I do frequent water changes. Here are some pictures. Usually he stays at the top.

sick oscar.jpg

sickoscar.jpg

Fishminded

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
Seattle, WA.
If you don't see any physical signs of damage or sickness, he mostl likely is fine. My old Oscar started doing that once he got to a certain size. It seems oscars like to mope at times.

Have you been feeding it alot? Sometimes overfeeding can cause them to be less active. Stop feeding it for a while and when it gets hungry, most likely it'll snap out of it.

Beautiful Oscar btw..:headbang2

Kuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
Benton,Ky
OMG i just got chills, u can look up my topic, i forget what it was called, months ago though, my oscar, EXACT simptoms as your same situation, this is a conspiracy, he passed in a week

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
water parameters are good, im always changing the water 50% every 4-5 days. all the others are perfectly fine. its freaking me out because i also had another oscar a few months ago do the same thing and he died a couple of weeks later. ive always fed them a variety of frozen krill, frozen squid,bloodworms,hikari pellets(red ones), green flake. i do occasionally give them feeders, however its been at least 6 weeks since ive given them any. the symptoms started about 3 days ago.

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: need i even say it... he will be missed.

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
Oh man that was a Nice oscar.... That is weird, wonder what was wrong with him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store