Sick ray ? How to tell?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So my smallest ray seems to be stuck at the same size, about 5 inches. Have had it for probobly 4 months and have seen no increase in size.

Lately the thing has been eating like crazy.....huge getto booty at night, the next day gone. Tail is skinny at the base.

Stringy poo......kinda whitish/clearish. If I remember correctly this is a bad sign.

Can anybody tell me what may be causing this and how to fix it?

:(

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
treat with prazi pro.. Sounds like that will help you.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Yeah Prazi-Pro is a good medication for general internal parasites.. try injecting it into an earthworm.

Some find Metrodazinole to work well also..

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So this is something they have to actually eat and not just something you put in the water? I bet I'm gonna have fun trying to find this stuff.

What about Cupremine? (sp)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Cupramine is a bad idea.. Even if it is only a "copper-like" med, it will still be very harsh on the rays, probably kill it.

Praziquental and Metrodazinole are both for internal parasites, which is what your ray is probably having issues with.. You can give them a bath, and most QT with a heavy bath of Prazi-Pro (I did a double dose without issues).. but many others have advised that it be ingested by the animal for the most effectiveness. I recently purchased a small bottle of prazi-pro and I am injecting it into red wigglers.

One of the employees at the Shedd Aquarium here on MFK advised that they used Panacure for a QT treatment..

Do some MFK searches on the subject and those meds, you will learn alot..

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So if this one ray is sick do I need to treat all the rays?

Is there directions on the bottles of this stuff for these "baths"?

Hey Miles thanx for your assistance. You seem pretty knowledgable in the ray dept.

Is there anything I need to know about medicating that won't be in the directions on the bottle? I know you said double dose the bath........is this what you recommend that I do? As far as duration of treatment.....Just follow the directions?

Just want to make sure I have this all down right.

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
Hey.. yeah it will tell you right on the bottle. I think its 1 tbsp per 20gallons.. and it will last for a week.. Just do a WC before you do the bath.. and it will work great..

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I always did double dose on my tank with prazipro .... miles posted that thread about how the bathing doesn't really work well on rays.... another trick I have done is put jungle anti parasites pellets into shrimps or worms...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store