Side by side pics of HTH vs Palmetto vs Aquaquartz pool filter sand

Nate B

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2015
From left to right in the pictures below I have HTH vs Palmetto vs Aquaquartz.

My next tank I'll be migrating to is a lot bigger and I've started to gather some additional substrate. What I have currently is a mixture of white/off white sands - mostly what the tank came with but a few aquarium intended products that I've tried out here and there for a deeper bed. My favorite is the Caribsea super naturals Torpedo Beach because it small enough to still be sand like for creatures that need that, but big enough that it doesn't siphon up quite as easy. The only thing I don't like is the price if you need a lot of substrate. For the amount I'll need to add I don't feel like paying top dollar for aquarium ones and got a few bags of pool filter sand to compare. I started with a bag of HTH from my local Ace and for the price I was happy with it but was hoping for something that was a bit whiter. All 3 of them I wish the grain size was a bit bigger like the Torpedo Beach, but it is not a big enough deal for me that I'd want to pay the extra. The Aquaquartz looks the whitest to me. HTH was $20 at Ace and the other 2 were $25 shipped form Amazon.

20230216_200441.jpg

20230216_200536.jpg

Reactions: altums85

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I guess it comes down to personal preference and choice. All should be suitable if they are quartz, and they are.
To me, the whitest would be the least desirable. Most fish don't appreciate it, and will look pale in pure white substrata.
However, how white the sand is, is a very temporary thing so it matters little. In a few weeks (and certainly after some months) it would be beige, or somewhat darker. I use HTH, and I purposefully mix in a few gravel and pebbles piewces, just for looks, not enough to change the character from a sand substratum to anywhere close to gravel substratum.

Nate B

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2015
For sure - it is a personal preference. As for myself I like the natural look with a sand, plants, driftwood, and some rocks. I agree, white does not stay super white for long, but I do like to lighten it up a bit. It could be my imgagination but it seems to make it easier when I stir up the sand. I like to do a little here and there and like to know where I've been.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One thing to be conscious of depending on the kind of fish you keep, is that the whiter sand, sometimes make certain fishes colors tend to wash out.
especially often with cichlids.
They are very sentient and aware of their surroundings, and in an attempt to become inconspicuous to predators from above, will lighten considerably to not become targets.
Whether in nature, or in a tank, this instinct doesn't go away.
Here is an example.
1677007654751.png1677007726850.png
Left is a Nandopsis haitiensus held temporarily in a tank with very light aragonite substrate, right its normal coloration in a tank with natural color substrate.
So, if you want your fish (my experience is mostly cichlids)) to look normal, keeping them in a tank with the natural color substrate they would be found on, goes a long way. to that end,(if that's important to you).
There have been a number of threads here on MFK, where people wonder why their fish don't like the natural, or bright colors photos they see, and in many cases, it's obvious the substrate chosen, is the cause oof fish washing out.
Below are a few underwater shots taken in a tributary of the Rio Magdalena in Colombia, S America..
GPExportPhoto-0005.jpegGPExportPhoto-0010.jpeg
GPExportPhoto-0004.jpeg

Last edited:

Nate B

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2015
I think what folks are mentioning about fish matching surroundings so not going to extremes on the substrate (even considering it dulls after a while) is good advice that is even more relevant for my upcoming tank compared to the current tank I'm phasing away from. The current tank & inhabitants seems FAR from washed out with the combination of the deep blue (almost black) background, many low/midsized plants, and a little rocks & driftwood. One of the main purposes of the bigger tank is more open swimming and bottom hangout areas. It is twice about twice the area on the bottom. I'm not doubling the plants/rocks/driftwood. By design, they'll be more open substrate area so this becomes more relevant.

My original intention was S.A. cichlids but the tank I got in the fall happened to come with a different monster so even though cichlids our on hold years down the road I may have them again as well. Good advice for fish in general and especially cichlids.

As of the moment, the HTH is $5 cheaper, and I get to go to Ace which I like to have an excuse to do anyway as I like that store. There is a good chance I'll need at least 1-2 more bags (even with my old sand phased into the new tank in time) so I know what direction I'll go when it comes time.

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store