silver Arowana question about color??

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
This is him currently what do you think ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
From the first picture, I can tell your problem. I'm guessing your not using a dedicated light or not enough light. It appears you only have egg crate to cover the tank and I'm guessing your using just regular room light to light the tank. Understand some videos on youtube people have their Arowana in a tank with a canopy with the inside canopy painted reflective white and 6500k+ light. I'd be willing to say if you built a box(canopy) for your tank and popped some length of your fish tank 6500k lights or brighter lights in there, he'll brighten and sparkle right up. Also your background.. put a blue or black background on your tank, blue is going to give best results with silver.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
TO: yanfloist you cannot tell from my picture but in person he has a faint bluish hue to him and also pinkish red stripe sorta lines on his fins and faint blue and pink outlining his scales sorry about the image quality I feed him on hikari jumbo carnisticks I literally just pellet trained him on those last week

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
TO: Adamrhh I have a light on the tank but its about to go out I've had it for a longtime and its on its last legg and I have to use the egg crate for now or he will jump out I will consider building a canopy and I know i know I have to buy a new light because the one I have is very old and weak that is why it looks like I have no light on the tank sorry

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Arowana coloring has many factors. Big factor though is food, water changes, and stressless environment. Even the littlest thing can alter the coloring. An easy way to cheat is Lighting. I have no plants in the tank.. but i use a combination of black light(blue), red light(pinkish) and bright day light(6500k)... this brings out the full color spectrum of my fish and tank. Food is a big factor as well. To get the red lint on the tails, its extremely easy. Just do what you are doing with the hikari pellets and you get those beautiful red tints in about 2-3 months. maybe 1 if you do a good job with water changes/water parameters. Water hardness is also a factor for stress/environment. NJ has slightly harder water that an arowanas liking on my side of town, but i dont use anything to change it... i just cheat with lighting. Gutloading crickets and mealworms also help. I gutload with carrots and some old tetramin/omega1 tropical color added flakes. I dont see it helping but couldnt hurt right? Also I do make my own fish food. I ran out recently but it was glorious with the colors i made. I got this chemical powder that large companies use for colorations of red. starts with an A i believe... similar to betacarrotein if not better. and I mixed that into the food. Prawn is ok.. but can cause high fat contents in my opinion. If people can get cholestrol problems off shrimp... so can fish. So i try to stay away from that and gutload insects. like crickets and mealworms (yes I know they are high in fat as well). I breed my own superworms. and i gutload them till they shed and feed them when they are soft. my jardini and silver together love them. but hikari is definitely the way to go... You can also use SERA arowana pellets... but they make the water red too... so they are definitely doing something wrong.. and i believe the grade of protein is slightly off than efficient.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
New life spectrum also does a wonderful job of coloration as well. i think their coloring makes it more lighter and brighter and hikari does the opposite making them darker and more lush. A balance of the 2 should make it good. But I do not suggest using NLS for Silver arowanas. and exclusively silver arowanas. because i am not aware of any NLS pellets that float for carnivores and top feeders like arowanas. I believe in every myth of arowanas getting drop eye. and sink pellets is one of the leading theories/myths.

kbRIGS

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2010
nj
Wondering if there is a platinum pearl jardini one is selling for 1200us I have a picture of it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store