Silver in Trouble, Please Help

cgoldsmith_99

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Minnesota
I have a beautiful 14inch silver who was doing fine until this morning.

Yesterday I did my customary 25% waterchange. All the other fish in the tank are fine (loaches, fire eel, etc.).

This morning my silver is sitting at the bottom of the tank, I was not too concerned until I saw him try to swim. He seems unable to swim all of the sudden, swimming upside down swimming on his side.

Any thoughts, recommendations? I am going to do a water test right now. The only other note is that 2-3 weeks ago I added a rope fish to the tank, which he did not seem to like. Although they never fought and the aro is bigger, that is the only change to the tank.

All help is appreciated.

cgoldsmith_99

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Minnesota
Tested the water. The pH reading was lower than expected. Normally I have to buffer the water to keep the pH at 7.0, but the reading in the tank is currently more around 6.6. I know no fish likes dramatic pH change, but if it is coming from my tap, any thought?

All other water parameters were fine with nitrates around 5ppm

cgoldsmith_99

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Minnesota
He is now stuck to my wet/dry intake, still breathing. I do not see any physical damage but I wonder if he tried to jump out, hit his head, and now has brain damage?

Anyone, anyone?

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
It sounds like he hit his head, add extra air bubbler and decrease water pump rate to make his swimming easier. Add aquarium salt at one rounded tbs per 5 gallons, the ph at 6.6 is fine. Monitor water conditions and only change water if nessicary, basically try not to add stress to him. Leave the tank lights off and leave a small light on in the room at night so he doesn't get spooked. In the future consider a moon light for your tank, it's amazing how calmer they are at night with a little light.

Good Luck.

HiGhTiMeZ

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Montreal, Canada
www.friendster.com
ouch! man u got a pic its hard to imagine what ha happened.
imo, its either he got sbp or his spine was injured. wast was the last meal u gave it?

cgoldsmith_99

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Minnesota
He is still alive, breathing normally, although still upside down. I have increased the temp to 82 degress. Boydo thanks for the tip on the salt and light. I have a nightlight right next to the tank for that purpose, but I guess it didn't work last night.

His body has no noticably damage except towards the back by his dorsal fin there is some scale damage.

What is sbp?

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
cgoldsmith_99;645440; said:
I have a beautiful 14inch silver who was doing fine until this morning.

Yesterday I did my customary 25% waterchange. All the other fish in the tank are fine (loaches, fire eel, etc.).

This morning my silver is sitting at the bottom of the tank, I was not too concerned until I saw him try to swim. He seems unable to swim all of the sudden, swimming upside down swimming on his side.

Any thoughts, recommendations? I am going to do a water test right now. The only other note is that 2-3 weeks ago I added a rope fish to the tank, which he did not seem to like. Although they never fought and the aro is bigger, that is the only change to the tank.

All help is appreciated.
how often do you change 25% of the tanks water?

what else is in the tank since you added etc to your other stock list?

cgoldsmith_99

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Minnesota
I do water changes religiously every 2 weeks. I test the water once a month.

If it is pH shock, should I try slowly changing the water with a higher pH to try and get it back up to 7?

Since he was fine before the water change and now the next morning after, it seems likely it is something to do with that. I am just suprised the other fish are fine if it is a water quality issue. I would've expected the clown loaches or frontosas (who I know like a higher pH) to be suffering and not my aro.

The fish stock has not changed in months except for a rope fish that was introduced about 2 weeks ago.

Regarding question about food, I feed the aro once every 2-3 days and he eats frozen krill or market shrimp. Last ate fine 2 days ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store