Sink or Swim

creatress

Feeder Fish
Nov 7, 2010
Davis, CA
Greetings All!
Ok, I'm 100% new to this.
Long story short, was looking for a new fish today for my 1gallon bowl (yes, you read correctly) and saw the cutest red belly pacu about the size of a quarter at the pet store. Asked the sales woman a few questions (she knew nothing other than it ate flake food at 1inch of fish is fine for 1 gallon.) I fell in love with my pacu, took him home and hit Google.

WOW! Was I in for a shock. So, it looks like I've really opened a whole new world up here for myself. Funny thing is that I've always wanted a large tank. Grew up with some saltwater tanks around the house as a kid and loved everything about them (sadly, remember little.)

My little pacu is happy (for the moment), but I need to expand for him/her quickly. I've been researching and luckily, am financially able to provide a bigger tank for him/her in the very near future.

I'm loving the pictures people are posting about their habitats and setup, but am a little concerned about the Ph levels I'll need, filtration, keeping it company (should I get another one once I get a bigger tank?) I'm 100% new to this and am adapting to the new situation as quickly as I can. I'm comitted to being a good owner and giving my little pacu the best environment that I can (in my very small house.)

Anyway, happy to find this site. Happy to read any and all advice you care to throw my way. :D

~Creatress

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
:welcome: to MFK!

Er...Your pacu can outgrow that bowl in just a week. I'd just upgrade the tank now or sell it to someone who can accommodate it since it is a very quick grower and also a very large fish. Research more about it. They can grow to 12 inches in even a few months.

They should have been banned from the trade anyway considering their massive size. *shakes head*

creatress

Feeder Fish
Nov 7, 2010
Davis, CA
Thanks for the nice comments and welcome. I plan on having a more suitible, sizable habitat ASAP (no later than the end of the week.) Wish I would have planned a little more, but thrilled to have him.

He's on flake food now, but I did give him a tiny bit of organic leaf lettuce (and he seemed to love it.)

I took a great picture of him this morning that I'd love to post, but I don't have a public URL to post it on yet (all my sites are private.)

Thanks again!

creatress

Feeder Fish
Nov 7, 2010
Davis, CA
As big as I can afford (to start out with) at least 55gallons for now (with plans to progess to 100gallons.) Since he's an "only fish" that should be a good fit for a bit.

Do you think I should get another Pacu while he's young and raise a pair, or just stick with a solo? I don't want him getting bored, but read that they only like other pacu's as juviniles, then don't mind being solo. Though it seems like many people I've read who have them have at least 2.

Opinions?

red devil123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Fort Wayne
pacu fish are schooling fish and your gonna need a way bigger tank that 100 gallons. they sneek up on you lol one day there 5 inches and the next they are a foot long

alexpie001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
south africa
i would go with a school, about five of them as they are very impressive but if you cant house them properly dont even bother with the one

dlobom

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
Costa Rica
creatress;4611246; said:
As big as I can afford (to start out with) at least 55gallons for now (with plans to progess to 100gallons.) Since he's an "only fish" that should be a good fit for a bit.

Do you think I should get another Pacu while he's young and raise a pair, or just stick with a solo? I don't want him getting bored, but read that they only like other pacu's as juviniles, then don't mind being solo. Though it seems like many people I've read who have them have at least 2.

Opinions?
for 2 you would need a few hundred gallons, Pacus are awesome fish, but they will get HUUUGE, so If you're not 100% sure you will be able to get at lease 200 gal in the next 3 months, I would say dont even try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store