size for african bonytongue?

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
xander13;2814634; said:
i know that they will eat him! that's why he's not in yet:D i was just wondering what size should be fine. i think he is better off in his own 75 without competitors for food:D
:ROFL:true...the pbass wont let him eat...:ROFL:
IMO,wait til hes 14-16".
this of course is affected by the size of the cubans when he actually reaches that size..

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
hey xander,

not much time to reply now (as richard had alluded to, i'm away from MI right now; currently in NYC), but i will say what i can. when you mentioned "he got attacked" was that from a previous attempt to put the fishes together, or did you try it recently?

that being said, i've kept a decent sized African with Cubans and other gars before with few problems...but that Cuban was only about 14" at the time. the active swimming nature of the bonytongue may attract attention as you had mentioned as well. given the size of the ABT and the much larger size of the Cubans, you COULD try it and see how things go for a day or two...i would suggest, however, since that other tank isn't horribly crowded for the ABT yet, to let it grow another 2-3" before moving it in.
ABT's are quite durable, so even if he got beaten up during the test run in the big tank it wouldn't be the end of the world (monitor closely), however, again, the size difference between your Cubans and gator vs ABT (former being the 2 most aggressive gar species) makes things risky.

hope that helps, if i think of anything else i will post when i can.--
--solomon

PS - what the heck is up with the 'gar media' forum??? interesting, but not sure i see the necessity...

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;2821390; said:
hey xander,

not much time to reply now (as richard had alluded to, i'm away from MI right now; currently in NYC), but i will say what i can. when you mentioned "he got attacked" was that from a previous attempt to put the fishes together, or did you try it recently?

that being said, i've kept a decent sized African with Cubans and other gars before with few problems...but that Cuban was only about 14" at the time. the active swimming nature of the bonytongue may attract attention as you had mentioned as well. given the size of the ABT and the much larger size of the Cubans, you COULD try it and see how things go for a day or two...i would suggest, however, since that other tank isn't horribly crowded for the ABT yet, to let it grow another 2-3" before moving it in.
ABT's are quite durable, so even if he got beaten up during the test run in the big tank it wouldn't be the end of the world (monitor closely), however, again, the size difference between your Cubans and gator vs ABT (former being the 2 most aggressive gar species) makes things risky.

hope that helps, if i think of anything else i will post when i can.--
--solomon

PS - what the heck is up with the 'gar media' forum??? interesting, but not sure i see the necessity...
i tried it when the ABT was approx 9inches? about 2-3 weeks ago. it wasn't really attacked, as the gars actually left him alone for the better part of 3 hours, but then one of them took a lunge at the ABT and i decided it was a combo for another time.

thanks, yeah i felt 14 inches would be a safe size to try again. no issues here right?

well it's not much fun having to go into another subforum everytime i visit the gar forum, and i guess it's not really necessary for this particular forum. perhaps other forums are getting messy.

alcohologist;2822777; said:
no, gars arent bonytongues, john :)
the thread's in here cause of the specific question- the afro as a gar tankmate
thanks, and do you think i should buy Haley back!:D i dont like her nose but lots of sentimental value there lol

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
my alligator gar did not like his silver aro on the other side of the divider - it went through the divider and killed the silver.... both were puny juveniles

to this date, i don't dare to put silver aros with my alligator gars...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store