Skimmer Issues - don't know how to fit one in my setup?

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Hi,

I have a 400L tank, it's a great tank - 30" tall, 40" long, 20" width.

I currently keep Malawi Cichlids.

It is filtered via an FX6 Canister filter.

I've been thinking about going salty for a while, I think this is a good tank size for a marine setup that would look great.

But I have issues:

My tank is built into a brick alcove. It was custom made for this space.

There is no space under my tank for a sump. It is placed on solid brick. There is no space to the right side or behind the tank. It is in an alcove. The only space is a roughly 1" gap to the left, which I currently use for my FX6 pipes.

My idea was to:

- get rid of the FX6 (or use is only for flow?)
- live rock
- fish.
- soft corals.
- Wavemakers.
- improved LED lighting.
- internal skimmer.

Skimmer wise...what are my options. My tank is heavily braced at the top around the edges, like 3 inches along the back and front, and 6 inches at each end as there is no centre brace. There are 2 small 2"x2" holes each end for pipes. So I cannot easily place an external skimmer. Means it would be in the middle which would look odd, and I wouldn't be able to close covers etc. If I used an internal skimmer, I would have to significantly lower the water level in my tank? I have seen mention of a remote skimmer, that could be used sort of the same way as an external filiter...with pipes going up or down to a skimmer elsewhere? Is this something?

Does anybody have any advice on setting up here? Bearing in mind although I do have over 25 years of fishkeeping experience, this is my first (potential) experience with a marine aquarium.

I want to do it right, or I don't want to do it at all. Will just stick with my Malawis. I think the skimmer issue is something that is bothering me. I know some say you don't need one, but being my first tank, I want to. I think it will help me. I don't just want to do a fish only tank either, with canister filter etc, it has to be a little bit more than that.

Thanks!

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Post a picture of the tank and space. Where is the fx6? A skimmer isn't necessary. It is a good piece of equipment to have but you can have a nice tank without it. If there is no sump and no spot for a hang on back one there is nothing you can do.

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Should have done that sorry. I would really like to get a skimmer in there somewhere if I go ahead.

Tank, there is a chair in front that hides the FX6 to the bottom left of the tank:

Hidden FX6:

The FX6 pipes go up the left of the tank via a 1" gap (it looks a little wider in the photo for some reason):

This is a side brace with small hole at the back, the side braces are huge measuring 6" into the tank:

The front and back braces are 3":

This is where all my pipes go in, back left, I lifted them up to show:

The covers are glass, there is no centre brace. I keep things like the air pumps, plugs etc above the tank in a concealed compartment on the shelf.

Thanks for anyone looking, any ideas appreciated.

edit: and man, does the camera show up dirt, sorry about that.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
You can get a sump and hide it in a chest, build a woodbox or use the chair. Get a dresser and put it to the right of the tank with equipment inside. Use an external simmer and hide it the same way or don't hide it at all.

If it is possible drill a hole in the back or side walls and put a sump in a separate room.

Last edited:

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Thanks for your suggestions.

I am hesitant to put anything more on the floor as space really is at a premium. Anything bigger than the FX6 would cause problems I think. How would I get water out for a sump given no overflow?

To the right is a fireplace ans left is an external wall. I didnt really want to drill the tank at the moment.

So, a question...

How do external skimmers work exactly? Can I place an external skimmer on the top of my tank (instead of hanging on the side) and simply extend the intake and outflow pipes to reach the water level?

So this for example, extend the pipe with the pump, and the outflow, or does it need to hang on for gravity reasons or something?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
You can drill a hole at the top of your tank to make a simple overflow. Use a 5 gallon bucket as a sump. Just make sure you get a skimmer that fits in it. I am not sure if you can raise that skimmer above your tank or not. If you have room you can build a shelf and do an overhead sump. Pump water up and let gravity take it down.

They make external skimmers like the red sea prism which looks like and functions like a cainister filter. No drilling, sump or hang on tank equipment.

If I was in your situation I would say screw the skimmer and throw some biopellets in your fx6. It will control your nitrates and requires no maintence. If you get good rock you will have sponges, feather dusters and other organisms which will act as a skimmer. I try to keep my tanks simple and let nature do it's job. I lost my ventri piece for my skimmer so I took it offline and added mussels to my tank. My nitrates dropped to near 0. The mussels did more then my skimmer.

You can also grow macro algae in you tank in a addition to your coral which will also have a similar effect as a skimmer. An algae turf scrubber will also help with water quality and can replace a skimmer.

Last edited:

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Good suggestions, thanks a lot, will take a proper look into them. Do you have a link to a suitable Red Sea Prism too?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Sorry, it's called the Red Sea C-skim not prism. I never used it and know nothing about it. It was just an example. There are a bunch of external skimmers out there.

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
So, been looking at a lot of different options, the C-Skim model in particular seems to be the most likely to succeed for me.

This is a small photo, but it basically shows how it would work for me, imagine my tank as the tub on the left with the c-skim sitting on top...

If I've read correctly, the use of the flexible pipe to connect to the intake pump is absolutely fine.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Flex tube be fine, there is a flex tube in the picture you posted. It might even come with the plumbing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store