Slip or Thread or a combination of both?(sump plumbing)

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
what have you all seen to be easier to assemble/disassemble, maintenance, etc. when plumbing a reef ready tank to a sump?

Did you use all SCH40 or barbed fittings with tubing?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I like threaded bulkheads the most so you can take them apart when you want to. All the slip fitting that you weld together either have to be cut later or thrown out when they are unable to be used any more. Threaded is what I like.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Jamie!! Welcome back man. I prefer threaded everything when possible. I use as many ball valves and unions as well so I can take things apart easily with no cutting.

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
Jamie!! Welcome back man. I prefer threaded everything when possible. I use as many ball valves and unions as well so I can take things apart easily with no cutting.
Thanks JK47! I'm kinda in a pickle with my stand size(25"x25" with a 24"x24" 50g cube on it) NO ROOM!!!! The sump is 20"x10". I'm still on the fence, but I'm considering going with tubing as much as I can. The bulkheads on the tank are drilled in the center at the back of the tank. I would like to have the 20"x10" sump all the way in the back(long side going left to right) with the sump intake to the far left.

I thought about running the long side front to back leaving small storage areas on both sides of the sump, but changing the filter media and socks would be a pain.

I really shouldn't be on this site JK47!!!! My stock consists of Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp, CBS and CRS Shrimp, and a Brackish tank with Opae Ula. No Eartheaters or monsterfish! Considering some small/medium Crenicichla for this 50g cube. I really want a pair of Cren. celidochilus from Ed but he has not replied to my messages yet.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Threaded is much better. There is no good reason to use slip as the previous poster stated. If you use hose barbs you are going to restrict the flow since the barbed fitting is going inside of the hose taking up some valuable real estate. That being said, I use hose and barbs for the most part because I am lazy and it is easy.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks JK47! I'm kinda in a pickle with my stand size(25"x25" with a 24"x24" 50g cube on it) NO ROOM!!!! The sump is 20"x10". I'm still on the fence, but I'm considering going with tubing as much as I can. The bulkheads on the tank are drilled in the center at the back of the tank. I would like to have the 20"x10" sump all the way in the back(long side going left to right) with the sump intake to the far left.

I thought about running the long side front to back leaving small storage areas on both sides of the sump, but changing the filter media and socks would be a pain.

I really shouldn't be on this site JK47!!!! My stock consists of Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp, CBS and CRS Shrimp, and a Brackish tank with Opae Ula. No Eartheaters or monsterfish! Considering some small/medium Crenicichla for this 50g cube. I really want a pair of Cren. celidochilus from Ed but he has not replied to my messages yet.
You're always welcome on this site bro. No matter the size of the tanks. Have you posted the brackish tank? I am curious to see it. I am not keeping any earth eaters anymore either, I am almost exclusively rays. I sold of all of the S. mapiritensis. Sorry for the derail I just haven't talked with you in a while and glad to see you back online.

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
You're always welcome on this site bro. No matter the size of the tanks. Have you posted the brackish tank? I am curious to see it. I am not keeping any earth eaters anymore either, I am almost exclusively rays. I sold of all of the S. mapiritensis. Sorry for the derail I just haven't talked with you in a while and glad to see you back online.
No pics of the Opae Ula tank yet. I just got them.

Rays are on my bucket list, but I'm gonna wait until me and my wife build our next house. Just tinkering with the shrimp for now, I work out of town 5 days a week so not a good time to have big tanks right now.

I'll be sure to post up pics of all my tanks in the next few weeks once I get the 50g rimless setup and I got a 37g cube I'm redoing right now too.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Hmm... I guess my advice runs counter to what the other members have posted but I actually prefer glued slip fittings whenever possible, with one caveat: unions. Lots of unions.

I use threaded fittings when I have to but generally don't prefer them because I worry about leaks. Not much of a problem on the drain side because things are all low pressure but I've had issues getting threaded fittings to seal on the high pressure side after the pump or on pressurized closed loops. But I do like to have the option to take things apart and unions make this much easier than unscrewing a threaded fitting.

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
Hmm... I guess my advice runs counter to what the other members have posted but I actually prefer glued slip fittings whenever possible, with one caveat: unions. Lots of unions.

I use threaded fittings when I have to but generally don't prefer them because I worry about leaks. Not much of a problem on the drain side because things are all low pressure but I've had issues getting threaded fittings to seal on the high pressure side after the pump or on pressurized closed loops. But I do like to have the option to take things apart and unions make this much easier than unscrewing a threaded fitting.

Thanks deeb!

I watched a couple of videos on the BRS website, and they seem to really love the unions. Even after you glue the slip, you can reposition an elbow if you have a union next to it.

It's more fittings to buy and use but BRS says they make maintenance much easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store