Slow growing tank?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I'm giving my girlfriend a old 75 gallon I have sitting out in my garage to do a planted/mini monster aquarium and she wants a Tiger Dat for the tank I've never done dats before and I'm just wondering how long she will be able to house a dat in a 75 gallon?
Also I'm wondering if a tiger dat would mix well with the black ghost knife I'm getting her any thoughts?
Pretty much the only other question is what else could she add to the tank I know both of these fish will be hiding/stationary most of the day and she will want some type of movement could I add any other tank mates for her if so what type? I was wanting to get her a black shark or a pair of Senegal bichir for this tank but she isn't as big on bichir could I get her both or maybe something for the middle or top of the tank instead of the bichir I don't want to overstock however the dat and shark will have to come out eventually. Does this tank sound ok to you guys?? Also shoot me some ideas on tankmates for these fish while growing out

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm not experienced with dats or bgk's but sen's are most certainly pushing it in a 75. I know they don't get massive but I still feel like that may be too small for the bichirs. I know the dat and bgk will outgrow it, and I'm guessing probably quicker than you'd like after investing in semi-pricey fish. The shark is slowish growing...but again will need a larger tank I think faster than you'd want..

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I'm not experienced with dats or bgk's but sen's are most certainly pushing it in a 75. I know they don't get massive but I still feel like that may be too small for the bichirs. I know the dat and bgk will outgrow it, and I'm guessing probably quicker than you'd like after investing in semi-pricey fish. The shark is slowish growing...but again will need a larger tank I think faster than you'd want..
No I actually like large fish and have a couple bigger tanks. I'm ok with letting her grow these fish for me and I'll take them on and place them in my tanks once larger or get a new tank for them also dats and ghost knives take FOREVER to outgrow tanks I've seen people who use 29-55 gallon tanks for dats and knives who have them for years before they outgrow these tanks I just wanted to find some other fish that she could keep in her tank while the dat is small

Reactions: Megamonsters

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
No I actually like large fish and have a couple bigger tanks. I'm ok with letting her grow these fish for me and I'll take them on and place them in my tanks once larger or get a new tank for them also dats and ghost knives take FOREVER to outgrow tanks I've seen people who use 29-55 gallon tanks for dats and knives who have them for years before they outgrow these tanks I just wanted to find some other fish that she could keep in her tank while the dat is small
Hey if you're prepped for when they get big then do it to it haha

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
dats are slow growers. I dont really suggest a bgk. They are pretty docile and shy at first, but once the night hits, its like a human turning into a werewolf sometimes. I had my BGK start attacking fish at night. Especially their eyes. now this isnt going to happen with all BGK, but it does happen. Datnoids are pretty docile as well until they get to age. they can get territorial, but with more and more dats these days being farm raised, anything can happen. If you get like a 2-3 inch dat like me, it could last you over 2 years even with prime feeding. They are slow.... very slow compared to other fish. If you want to put 2 slow growing fish together, put clown loaches and datnoids together. their growth rate are similar.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Might be something to look into I'm just personally not a huge fan of clown loaches I like them I just don't know if I'd get them for my own personal tank and id have to check with my girl she really wanted to knife and the dat I could see which outweighs the other if it's really a bad idea.
dats are slow growers. I dont really suggest a bgk. They are pretty docile and shy at first, but once the night hits, its like a human turning into a werewolf sometimes. I had my BGK start attacking fish at night. Especially their eyes. now this isnt going to happen with all BGK, but it does happen. Datnoids are pretty docile as well until they get to age. they can get territorial, but with more and more dats these days being farm raised, anything can happen. If you get like a 2-3 inch dat like me, it could last you over 2 years even with prime feeding. They are slow.... very slow compared to other fish. If you want to put 2 slow growing fish together, put clown loaches and datnoids together. their growth rate are similar.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Might be something to look into I'm just personally not a huge fan of clown loaches I like them I just don't know if I'd get them for my own personal tank and id have to check with my girl she really wanted to knife and the dat I could see which outweighs the other if it's really a bad idea.
Just get the arapima and dig the pond damnit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store