Small Bichir and Bush Fish

SilverLoachRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Hi all! I am back after lurking for about a month. I had some questions about getting some very small senegal bichirs and leopard bush fish to eat. Also, my plan is somewhat coming to fruition! If you look at my only other post you can see that I wanted to get a 300 gallon tank. Well, about a month (and a lot of money later), the custom tank and stand I wanted is being made! It is going to be a little bit, but when it's done and here I am very excited for it.

So with my new Senegal's and Leopard Bush fishes I got today, I was wondering some recommendations for getting them to come out and eat and what I should try to give them. When the regular tank lights are on no one really seemed interested in coming out for defrosted bloodworms or softened freeze dried krill. When I turned on the "night" lights everyone except the smaller Bush fish came out to hunt.

So first, the bichir are around 2.5 inches long. One of them tried to eat a large chunk of krill that my ABF had spit out because he was full. He couldn't bite a chunk off and eventually gave up. I had dropped some groups of bloodworms around the tank and tried to let them come out. I think one of the bichir (the same one who bit at the krill) got a couple small bloodworms. The other was cruising around but I couldn't see if he got anything or not. What lights do you guys normally feed with on? What are some good foods for my little guys? (I know "good" foods from research but I'm just curious if you guys have anything you found works better for little guys).

Second, my LBF are little different in sizes. My larger one is around the size of a half dollar just on the smaller side and my smaller one is around the size of a quarter just on the smaller side. The larger one kept stalking the bichir with his leafy hunting ways until he got to close and they waddled away. He saw bloodworms drop in front of him and watched bit didnt seem interested in eating them. The smaller guy didnt even move out of his tree like hiding spot. He swam around the corners with his larger buddy but ultimately decided to be safe and stay inside. What should I do to entice the little guy to come out and eat? Any favorite foods for these guys?

I've attached some pictures I took yesterday. I changed around some of the plants that looks super bundled, and more so spread them in a tight circle. Also since the pictures yesterday, I added some fish safe pvc so that if they dont wanna just hide in the plants they have some "caves" and tunnels to retreat to. Plan is to overtime add pieces of woods stacked or shaped like caves to have a more natural and smoother appearance.

Also before I post: I ended up taking some pictures of the tank as it is right now lol. The night lights get turned down a bit from where they are in the pictures because I still feel like it's to much light. The picture of the fish shows the smaller Bush fish. Oh! I also have a picture from shortly before I tried to feed of one of the bichir in a tube.

Also Also before I post: I left a few pieces of blood worms (almost none) on the bottom of the tank to try and let them eat some if they wanted to. Is this a bad thing to do? The tank way plenty cycled with around 3ppm of ammonia and I cant imagine that the ABFs and my new fish + some plant matter and bloodworms on the bottom would overdue the 100 gallon rated filtration. Am I right about this?

20190903_160057.jpg

20190903_160053.jpg

20190903_160047.jpg

20190903_160037.jpg

15676469108334612319065192741497.jpg

15676469979367420538085813772103.jpg

15676470693494028420208994146821.jpg

20190904_201550.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
First off, the senegal in the last picture looks adorable.
Ok, since the senegal looks to be so small I'd try to drop the food directly infront of him or at least close to him in his line of sight. At this small size I wouldn't trust them to find food you randomly drop in the tank. As for the leaf fish, I have one and the way he eats is he will only eat food off of the bottom. I would try some sinking pellets, mine seem to be fond of these shrimp pellets by omega one

I just noticed you said you got these today? Give them a day or two to settle in and then try feeding them. They're most likely still settling it and not in the mood to eat.

Reactions: Racersk

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My Senegalus and bush fish will eat all prepared foods. Would provide a pellet(massivore, nls etc) and just break it up into small prices. Even cut up pieces of tilapia will work as well. Provide a varied diet and should work out fine.

SilverLoachRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
First off, the senegal in the last picture looks adorable.
Ok, since the senegal looks to be so small I'd try to drop the food directly infront of him or at least close to him in his line of sight. At this small size I wouldn't trust them to find food you randomly drop in the tank. As for the leaf fish, I have one and the way he eats is he will only eat food off of the bottom. I would try some sinking pellets, mine seem to be fond of these shrimp pellets by omega one

I just noticed you said you got these today? Give them a day or two to settle in and then try feeding them. They're most likely still settling it and not in the mood to eat.
Thank you for the info and yes, he is very cute! :)

I know it's the first day and it normally takes fish a bit to settle in, I just over worry thinking of my small friend not eating while he so small haha. I'm sure he'll start eating when he gets accustomed to his new home.

My Senegalus and bush fish will eat all prepared foods. Would provide a pellet(massivore, nls etc) and just break it up into small prices. Even cut up pieces of tilapia will work as well. Provide a varied diet and should work out fine.
I will definitely try this. Thank you for the info!

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If it helps you calm down then we have members here who have gotten fish that wouldn’t eat for weeks or even months and they survived.

SilverLoachRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
If it helps you calm down then we have members here who have gotten fish that wouldn’t eat for weeks or even months and they survived.
Thanks. I just always worry to much about my animals. When my peacock cichlids breed the female doesnt eat for the month or so shes holding her babies. She always ends up fine and fattens out after haha.

Reactions: tlindsey

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Are you running co2? Your planting some high demand plants.

Reactions: twentyleagues

SilverLoachRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Are you running co2? Your planting some high demand plants.
I'm not running co2, but I am dosing with ferts and all of the plants are lower light plants that I've grown in tanks before and all it took was light and some dosing with root tabs or flourish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store