Small Siliver arowana

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Have a 5 inch silver arowana. Had him for about 3 weeks now. He eats koi pellets, cichlid pellets, crickets, and blood worms. I'm trying to vary his diet. I recently triet cut tilapia. But he won't eat it because it sinks to the bottom to fast. I got him to eat 1 piece I held at top water level and let him grab it from my hand. But that was the only time. He gets scared and runs when my hand gets close to the water and runs. So my question is HOW am I suppose to be feeding him? I hate feeding him things that sink like blood worms, black worms and sinking pellets cause he won't chase them or even pay it attention. When I try to hand feed him he gets scared. I really want him give him a high protein varied diet so he can grow fast. I have a 2 inch peacock bass that I don't want catching up to him. Please help?20150901_225810_007_01.jpg

20150901_230309_021.jpg

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Have a 5 inch silver arowana. Had him for about 3 weeks now. He eats koi pellets, cichlid pellets, crickets, and blood worms. I'm trying to vary his diet. I recently triet cut tilapia. But he won't eat it because it sinks to the bottom to fast. I got him to eat 1 piece I held at top water level and let him grab it from my hand. But that was the only time. He gets scared and runs when my hand gets close to the water and runs. So my question is HOW am I suppose to be feeding him? I hate feeding him things that sink like blood worms, black worms and sinking pellets cause he won't chase them or even pay it attention. When I try to hand feed him he gets scared. I really want him give him a high protein varied diet so he can grow fast. I have a 2 inch peacock bass that I don't want catching up to him. Please help?View attachment 1137854

View attachment 1137855
Ur varied diet is excellent and you don't have to worry about it getting scared of you when you hand feed. They are always skittish especially when small and your diet sounds way better than mine. It's hard to feed them food that doesn't float so I wouldn't recommend the tilapia so soon because it could startle it if you try too much and it may become afraid to eat. Feed it what you currently feed it and when it becomes accustomed to you feeding it later on I'm positive it'll eat the tilapia before it reaches the ground. Also what size is the tank and the peacock bass. Which fish seems more dominant or stronger. I've had a few arowana in the past the one I currently have is a rescue from about 7 months ago it eats like a beast and I currently feed it two types of arowana pellets a day about 15-20 and gut loaded crickets on the weekends. Also do you want your peacock and arowana to coexist or is the placement temporary because when my arowana was little it was with a flowerhorn for about 4 months and since they were both small it was fine but now their separate. Whose more aggressive my current arowana is very timid

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Hikari Foodsticks float, are small, you can always break them in half, my aro loved it. He/she is now on the Jumbo Carnisticks. Live crickets also float, and aro's love these too, also give some live mealworms, they sink slowly and greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Steven Williams

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Hikari Foodsticks float, are small, you can always break them in half, my aro loved it. He/she is now on the Jumbo Carnisticks. Live crickets also float, and aro's love these too, also give some live mealworms, they sink slowly and greatly appreciated.
I can't feed it meal worms yet. Arowana still too young for thatm don't want to harm the insides.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Ur varied diet is excellent and you don't have to worry about it getting scared of you when you hand feed. They are always skittish especially when small and your diet sounds way better than mine. It's hard to feed them food that doesn't float so I wouldn't recommend the tilapia so soon because it could startle it if you try too much and it may become afraid to eat. Feed it what you currently feed it and when it becomes accustomed to you feeding it later on I'm positive it'll eat the tilapia before it reaches the ground. Also what size is the tank and the peacock bass. Which fish seems more dominant or stronger. I've had a few arowana in the past the one I currently have is a rescue from about 7 months ago it eats like a beast and I currently feed it two types of arowana pellets a day about 15-20 and gut loaded crickets on the weekends. Also do you want your peacock and arowana to coexist or is the placement temporary because when my arowana was little it was with a flowerhorn for about 4 months and since they were both small it was fine but now their separate. Whose more aggressive my current arowana is very timid
I want them to coexist. Im trying to get another peacock asap be for the current peacock gets too big. Peacock is 2 inches. I aldo have a 6 inch jack dempsey but she's only temp in the tank. My tank is 125 gallons for.now. planning in building a 500 or bigger plywood tank in the next couple of years.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I can't feed it meal worms yet. Arowana still too young for thatm don't want to harm the insides.
Yes mealworms are harder to digest for smaller arowana if u want to feed worms u could cut up earthworms into small pieces they are very good treats but be careful where u get them

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I want them to coexist. Im trying to get another peacock asap be for the current peacock gets too big. Peacock is 2 inches. I aldo have a 6 inch jack dempsey but she's only temp in the tank. My tank is 125 gallons for.now. planning in building a 500 or bigger plywood tank in the next couple of years.
Sounds alright just pay attention to the relationship between the fish in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store