Small-Spot Cichlid with Corydoras?

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
This may seem like a stupid question but I'm getting rid of my Discus and to be honest, I'm kind of loosing my touch with Freshwater :/ Now, I'm always messing around with my Reef tank. I'm kind of going to try everything before I change the tank to Saltwater and If I like that certain thing, I'll keep going with the freshwater.

Since I've spent about 250 on the discus, I'll get store credit for them and was thinking about buying a Small spot Madagascar Cichlid. Would he be alright with some Corys? I heard they are very peaceful. I know a large Cichlid with Corys and 2 angels sounds a bit strange but I'm not really looking for a 'Style', Just a cool tank! :)

By the way if you want to know the tank is 70g's. And I'm also just wondering do these fish have good personalities? Has anyone here kept them since there are quite rare?

bdevilcasey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
Not a good idea. Ive never kept one but researched them once upon a time. Im pretty sure they can be pretty aggresive and will eat smaller species. Im not 100% tho. Anyone else know this species?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
I have one in my 210 and it is anything but peaceful. It does however run the tank which includes a midas 2 texas cichlids and 4 berdmorie loaches. They are really good looking fish. If you could I would suggest getting a pair. I know they can be hard to find but it'd be well worth it. I think except for the occasional bluff charge it would leave your cories alone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I wouldn't try it, I got a 12" male Polleni last week, and he's already taken over the tank. He forced me to get rid of my big male Texas cichlid because he was always trying to kill him, and now it's just him and a 8" female Jaguar cichlid. Here's a pic of my Polleni...

Paratilapia Polleni.jpg

Paratilapia Polleni.jpg

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
Mmmm I'll have a go and try it. Do these fish have good personalities? Or are they boring? I'd like something with with a good personality.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although they are not particularly piscavores, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, and it is a big mouth.
If the corys are large and the Paratilapia is small, it might work.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "good personality", my male is very outgoing, and comes up for food. My females are timid, so I bought some other cichlids (6 Herichthys bocourti a bit smaller) and it helped cure their shyness somewhat.

[/URL
I think the shoaling tendency of the young bocourti seem tomake the Paratilapia more comfortable.

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks guys, Last thing, Would these be good with Plants? or is that a no no?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store