Small sump vs large external filter?

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hey long time lurker first time poster. I’m having trouble deciding on my filtration. I have a 160 us gal tank that I’m currently setting up to house 10 juvenile red belly piranhas. I currently have a fluval fx5 but after reading around here I’m thinking I should probably get some additional filtration going on?

I have been debating adding on another external, maybe the fluval fx4. Or going the diy sump route.
Only problem is it will need to be a pretty small sump. The space I have left under tank is around
20inch width 17inch depth 20inch height.
A found a local second hand sump that’s
18x 14x 15 inch.

Is it worth having such a small sump or better to just go the external route?

Sorry for the long post
Any ideas or tips would be welcomed.

Thanks

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
best thing about the sump is you can put your heaters in it. when I had piranhas they would startle easy and slam around the tank (180g 6' long). sometimes so hard theyd get dazed and stunned. having one less object for them to hit is a bonus.

Reactions: Matteus and Vdubers

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
best thing about the sump is you can put your heaters in it. when I had piranhas they would startle easy and slam around the tank (180g 6' long). sometimes so hard theyd get dazed and stunned. having one less object for them to hit is a bonus.
Thanks for your reply. Good point about the heater. Would this small a sump actually add a whole lot to the filtration though? Better than a fx4 type filter?

I also have a large piece of driftwood in the tank. Hope this doesnt cause problems if they startle. Guess at least it can’t smash.

I suggest replacing the F×4 and making room for a larger sump. If you don't like that suggestion I personally would add 1 or 2 aquaclear 110 HOB filters.
Hey thanks for the reply. I currently have a fx5 was debating adding the fx4. I guess I could replace the fx5 as you suggest. Problem is I would need to cut through the middle partition of my cabinate and would be worried about it no longer being structurally sound with all the weight of the tank on top.

I like the hob filters but again another problem there is my tank is designed in a way I can’t have Hob filters :(. It’s got like an inner glass rim with a holes in the middle to get access and a couple holes towards the back for pipes. Maybe I should add a picture it’s hard to explain.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for your reply. Good point about the heater. Would this small a sump actually add a whole lot to the filtration though? Better than a fx4 type filter?

I also have a large piece of driftwood in the tank. Hope this doesnt cause problems if they startle. Guess at least it can’t smash.

Hey thanks for the reply. I currently have a fx5 was debating adding the fx4. I guess I could replace the fx5 as you suggest. Problem is I would need to cut through the middle partition of my cabinate and would be worried about it no longer being structurally sound with all the weight of the tank on top.

I like the hob filters but again another problem there is my tank is designed in a way I can’t have Hob filters :(. It’s got like an inner glass rim with a holes in the middle to get access and a couple holes towards the back for pipes. Maybe I should add a picture it’s hard to explain.

Please don't remove the partition like you stated would jeopardize the structure of the stand. You could still do the smaller sump if you like just ask questions here if you need help.

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
Please don't remove the partition like you stated would jeopardize the structure of the stand. You could still do the smaller sump if you like just ask questions here if you need help.
Cheers for the help. The smaller sump works out to around 16 gallon us in terms of max capacity. Do you think this would provide better filtration than a standard external filter like the fx4?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Cheers for the help. The smaller sump works out to around 16 gallon us in terms of max capacity. Do you think this would provide better filtration than a standard external filter like the fx4?

If designed properly yes loaded with submerged bio media.

Reactions: Matteus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is not a law saying a sump needs to be directly below the tank, only your own aesthetic vision, and the need to use gravity.
I put sumps off to the side, mostly so I can have easy access to it for maintenance.

The 75 gallon tank used as a sump above takes care of tanks on either side. The open top allows easy access, and also allows me to use height, to add a bio-towersthat wouldn't fit under a tank.
Below an old 55 gal tank used s a sump.
A sump is in reality, just a box that holds water, so almost anything that holds enough water, can be a sump.
The only reason I have this commercial one below, is because it came with the tank, if not I would have done a DIY one.
fullsizeoutput_b9f.jpeg

And in sumps, I place heaters in a horizontal position for a number of reasons.
Because heat rises, a heater in a vertical position turns on and off constantly.
If a problem arises with restricted flow to the sump. and the heater ts horizontal, because the pump intake is few inches off the floor, this allows enough water to remain in the sump, so the heater doesn't dry out, shatter, and burn up.
If you hate maintenance, then HOB filters are the best for ease of maintenance.
The most non-user friendly filters for maintenance in my experience, are canisters, one came along with my latest tank, but I doubt I will ever use it, just for that reason, and that if not regularly maintained, become nitrate producing factories.
IMG_2264.JPG

fullsizeoutput_b8d.jpeg

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
If designed properly yes loaded with submerged bio media.
Think I will try and pick it up then. If it is small and I have room can always use another small external as well.

There is not a law saying a sump needs to be directly below the tank, only your own aesthetic vision, and the need to use gravity.
I put sumps off to the side, mostly so I can have easy access to it for maintenance.

The 75 gallon tank used as a sump above takes care of tanks on either side. The open top allows easy access, and also allows me to use height, to add a bio-towersthat wouldn't fit under a tank.
Below an old 55 gal tank used s a sump.
A sump is in reality, just a box that holds water, so almost anything that holds enough water, can be a sump.
The only reason I have this commercial one below, is because it came with the tank, if not I would have done a DIY one.
View attachment 1354486

And in sumps, I place heaters in a horizontal position for a number of reasons.
Because heat rises, a heater in a vertical position turns on and off constantly.
If a problem arises with restricted flow to the sump. and the heater ts horizontal, because the pump intake is few inches off the floor, this allows enough water to remain in the sump, so the heater doesn't dry out, shatter, and burn up.
If you hate maintenance, then HOB filters are the best for ease of maintenance.
The most non-user friendly filters for maintenance in my experience, are canisters, one came along with my latest tank, but I doubt I will ever use it, just for that reason, and that if not regularly maintained, become nitrate producing factories.
View attachment 1354487

View attachment 1354485
Wow what a comprehensive reply thanks for your input. I wish I could do something like this but I’m already in the dog house for having the tank in the dining room. I don’t think the Mrs would be keen if it was taking up more room haha.
Good shout on having the heaters horizontal will definitely be keeping that in mind. Makes a lot of sense.

Sadly hob filters just won’t work on my tank. At least nothing that would actually hang on the back.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Even a small sump will oxygenate the water... canister filters generally don't. With canister filters you pretty much have to pull the whole filter to clean the media. With a well designed sump you can pull just the mechanical media, clean it, and return it. Simple maintenance usually means cleaned much more often which means less detritus breaking down in the system into nitrogen compounds.

You will also quickly discover that as water evaporates from your tank the water level in the sump gets lower... not the water level in your display tank... which I think makes for a prettier tank.

I don't know if "the best thing about a sump is being able to put your heater in it" would top my list of reasons I only use sumps any more... but it is definitely a very nice benefit.

A small used commercial built sump?... heck yeah!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store