smaller water changes more often or bigger less often

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
water changes are dictated by water parameters... thats the only right way to do them...

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
looks like 90% of us just do weekly. I think it's just plain easier, especially with some of us(not me:irked:...yet:))have tanks that are easily 150 plus, it's easier to do them weekly. To make a day to change them all or if alot to spread them out throught the week.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
on my new 55 im gonna do 25% 2Xweek i always did that before and it works. Its currently set up and running but i have yet to put a fish in there.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
I do 30% on my largest tank EOD, and 30% on the rest 1x a week.

Its not a time issue, as I have become very efficient with my water changes through pumps and multiple lines going in and out. Its that the smaller tanks are all growouts and they become very distressed during water changes. In contrast the more grown up fish in the larger tank barely seem to notice when the water level drops a foot.

I would prefer to have a drip system on all my tanks, but thats not possible atm.

Acer

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Canada
xFLEAxx;2541349; said:
Its a little extremem but I do an about 10 percent water change on my 75 gallon every single day
That's probably the best way to do it - wish I could go that route!

I do a ~40% water change on my 55g every week, but that is because I feel it is a little overstocked. I do a 20-30% water change on my 130g every 1-2 weeks. My 20g is jammed with so many plants and tiny fish that I do a water change every 2 weeks or more, the to replenish the ions and minerals - nitrates never raise too much.

I don't like the idea of taking out half the water, although sometimes I do that. Even though the water from the tap is generally constant, it is a pretty dramatic change for the fish versus small incremental changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store