smallest gar?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;3013915; said:
aren't cks more territorial & aggressive than aros? esp given their noctournal nature(ime my gars have all been pretty diurnal) i would have thought they were pretty bad tankmates for gar.
gars are active at both night an day, even in captivity. they do have resting periods, but these are interspersed between both periods. i've kept several CK's and none have been more aggressive than arows. i am sure there are some aggressive ones out there, but i haven't seen them, nor have most garkeepers i have been in touch with over the years. i assume you have not kept the combo before, or for an appreciable amount of time? other than the african arow, have you kept your gars with true arows (couldn't remember if you had an Asian arow at some point)?

dbcb314;3013920; said:
aros are much more aggressive IME
i would generally agree with you that arows can be more aggressive...maybe not a ton more, but i haven't run into many aggressive CK's.--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;3013959; said:
gars are active at both night an day, even in captivity. they do have resting periods, but these are interspersed between both periods. i've kept several CK's and none have been more aggressive than arows. i am sure there are some aggressive ones out there, but i haven't seen them, nor have most garkeepers i have been in touch with over the years. i assume you have not kept the combo before, or for an appreciable amount of time? other than the african arow, have you kept your gars with true arows (couldn't remember if you had an Asian arow at some point)?
--solomon
i haven't actually kept anything for an appreciable amount of time:ROFL:

yes, i have kept a clown knife(~14") with my cubans, and it was extremely aggressive. however the huge size difference prevented any aggression towards the cubans. i've had gars with my brothers silver aro way back then, which was killed. and yes the asian aro. but the tank conditions were not ideal, it was the time i had the really stressed out cuban. asides from that, no.

fcamargo6thave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Jersey City NJ
The shortnose gar is the smallest gar available... I would reccommend getting this gar because it does not get too big and yes CK's are territorial they snap at everything that comes there way but usually they will not kill I have a shortnose gar and 2 CK's in a 300 gal with no problems as of yet

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
fcamargo6thave;3014028; said:
The shortnose gar is the smallest gar available... I would reccommend getting this gar because it does not get too big and yes CK's are territorial they snap at everything that comes there way but usually they will not kill I have a shortnose gar and 2 CK's in a 300 gal with no problems as of yet
wouldn't recommend shortnose, they're very unpredictable and skittish from what i've read.

Sonsinator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
where the corruption never ends
IME, My CK is pretty much territorial whenever the silver comes to it side, but my aro seems to give a bite on someone new in the tank just like what it did to my CK before but later on, no more fight. So I think I would be more comfortable if the gar is with the CK cause my CK is not aggressive, only when someone gets in his territory, and I don't know about the silver... comments?

jphillips2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle
For size and temperment I would go Florida/spotted gar. As for aros and CK's? My silver aro has beaten 1 CK to the point it died. It killed another CK by trying to eat it. So I'd have to say aros are more aggressive. CK's are just more territorial if someone tries to invade there hiding spot. Just my opinion though....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store