smallest snake in length for a beginner keeper

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
Opiate said:
i was gonna suggest corn to...get pics when ya get it!!
i will mate .. but it wont be for a little while yet, in the process of moving out my moms.
this is just abit of research, pricing up an understanding the needs of it 1st lol

thanks guys youve been a real help.

post pics of your 1st snakes up will ya im dieing to see what you guys had 1st

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
I got a Columbian Rainbow Boa first, but only because I handled him in the shop and he was very calm, otherwise I was going to get a cornsnake. Rainbow boas are usually quite jumpy but mines never given me any trouble.

Corns are great and there are a good selection of morphs out there, I particularly like Snow Corns.

Best,
Paul

Silvertears

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Somewhere lost
Kay so my male corn snake is pretty cool, but a bit nippy when he is in the cage. I doubt yours will be but he wasn't handled a lot by the previous owners.
My first snake was a ball python(she is almost 5' to the person who said they rarely get near 5' both of them are actually and one is a male)
The female I started with:

The male:

And of course my corn:

I love my corn snake, actually people want to take him from me because he is cool. Though he likes trying to go in odd places, like say my belt loops. I do suggest them as a first.

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
you guys have helped alot. so a corn snake is really a good beginer then?

bcuz by me there easily available, i think i can get hold of a ball python aswell but because snake are a new thing i am not common with names YET loll.

i think i saw a baby corn for £20 is that good ?

yeah but they also bite when young because they are not use to you yet. heres mine hes about 4ft now.

SNAKE 005.JPG

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
Silvertears said:
Kay so my male corn snake is pretty cool, but a bit nippy when he is in the cage. I doubt yours will be but he wasn't handled a lot by the previous owners.
My first snake was a ball python(she is almost 5' to the person who said they rarely get near 5' both of them are actually and one is a male)
The female I started with:

The male:

And of course my corn:

I love my corn snake, actually people want to take him from me because he is cool. Though he likes trying to go in odd places, like say my belt loops. I do suggest them as a first.
- thats a nice morph corn, what is it ? i like the sound of a snow corn but havent seen 1. google dnt help much either lol

floridagar said:
yeah but they also bite when young because they are not use to you yet. heres mine hes about 4ft now.
- how nippy are they ? does it hurt ?

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
Corns are great snakes, but hognoses are way cooler. I have a western hn that has a black belly and fans his neck like a cobra when frightened. I also like kenyan sand boas and dont even have to use a lid on his tank. Corns are escape artists. Right now I have 2corns, 3kings, 2hogs, 1sand boa, and a jampeaXsuper-dwarf retic.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
that looks like a hypo corn in that pic but I'm not positive. snow corns start out white with pinkish saddles and a little bit of yellow along the side of the throat and grow into a pretty much strait white snake with very faint pattern. when they are babies you can't even feel the bite, i always describe as a little puff of wind...that's it.... it's really more the shock of how quickly they move that gets you more than anything else. Even a full grown corn will do minimal damage if it bites, however that would be very rare if you got one as a baby and raised it up.

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
I have kept reptiles most of my life and I ALWAYS recommend corn snakes first! Ball pythons have a potential to go off feed for months, which can drive a beginner nuts. Heck, it could even cause the most experienced people to be nervous. Any of the more common colubrids (corn, rat, king, milk, and even pine snakes in my experience) are going to be great.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
basically want to try keep a snake but every 1 says get a corn snake, i looked on net n it said they get 6ft.. WFT i only want a snake that reachs 2-3 ft but that isnt too pricey or venemous or a constrictor ! is ther any out there ?
the only types of snakes there are venomous and constrictors. so you are limiting your options to legless lizards. Look into glass lizards- they are very small comparatively and eat insects. Also sand and rosy boas are great and way better than ball pythons for beginners.

Silvertears

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Somewhere lost
- thats a nice morph corn, what is it ? i like the sound of a snow corn but havent seen 1. google dnt help much either lol
He is a hypomelanistic. http://www.moreptiles.com/snow corn pics 003.JPG. I am pretty sure that is the snow but not 100%.
- how nippy are they ? does it hurt ?
I have never been bit but he has struck at my dad before. I knew he was nippy by watching him. I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt, I have heard it feels like Velcro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store