snails.

XxPROTERRORxX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2012
Kansas
Im new to planted aquariums and i just started up a 10 gallon planted. I saw some snails in there today and i was wondering if i should take them out, will they ddo plants harm? Please reply quick.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Hi,

Usually, snails will forage on dead plant tissues. If they seem punching holes on the leaves, chances are good your plants may be suffering nutrient deficiency and if that is the case, take a look at that issue.

Ramshorns and trumpets are fine and will not eat plants. Just be sure not to overfeed though as the likes of pond snails (Physas sp.) can easily proliferate inside your tank and make your tank unsightly. Crush the extra snails and give them to your fish. Extra protein for them.

Check out this article for more info on snails.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...nfestations-and-Solutions-to-Eliminating-Them

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Snails are usually unavoidable I find, and a welcome addition anyways.

Only snail to watch out for seems to be the larger apple snail, but I find that those don't seem to really exist in the hobby anymore. Mystery snails (a type of apple snail technically, bredgisii is the scientific name I believe, or something like that) also work in a planted tank relativly well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store