Snakehead in NY

fishkeeper1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
GA
There is no scientific records of snakeheads destroying natural habitats because from my knowledge they have been contained until several years ago. Personally I think snakeheads could do more harm then good, the only fish that can compete with them in the south would be large catfish and full grown largemouth bass. Snakeheads get larger than bass and larger than what a catfish could eat. With no predators and profilic breeding fish they will most likely outcompete and eat most native fish. Recipe for disaster.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
There is no scientific records of snakeheads destroying natural habitats because from my knowledge they have been contained until several years ago. Personally I think snakeheads could do more harm then good, the only fish that can compete with them in the south would be large catfish and full grown largemouth bass. Snakeheads get larger than bass and larger than what a catfish could eat. With no predators and profilic breeding fish they will most likely outcompete and eat most native fish. Recipe for disaster.
Except there are zero scientific records of snakeheads destorying native fish populations....however THERE IS a scientific record of largemouth bass & bluegill pose a threat to the native snakehead in Asia. Of course the ecosystems was already altered long time ago before the snakehead arrived.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store