Snakehead pairing.

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
I've read a lot on this forum about snakehead and how you need to have at least 5-6 fishes together before you can possibly obtain a breeding pair. But the thing is, i have no idea how it works. Do these snakeheads have to be brought up together from young in the same tank so they choose their mates? It might be silly saying this but it can't be possible throwing in 6 adult snakeheads and let them pair themselves right? And how do you know once they've paired up? What kind of signs do they show so that i would know they're "together".

Many thanks!

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
I'm not sure if it's the same with snakeheads since they are VERY aggressive, but with most fish, you put a few in a tank when they're relatively young, and all around the same size/age, then let them grow together for about a year, and by that time, two or more should have paired off. You could be stuck with all males or all females, although that's very unlikely.

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
not an expert but i heard once theyre paired up,,you will know cuz the rest will be dead or at least have some damage on em...............

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
Yeah, since their extreme aggression, once they start breeding and defending their young, any other fish in the tank are going to be killed, no question about that.

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
So once they've become a couple the male and the female will start attacking other snakeheads in the tank? That's nasty.

octofasciatus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2007
The blue corner
Look for two fish entwining or swimming together frequently. More often than not the other fish in the tank will suffer missing scales and torn fins. This occurs more easily with some types of channa than others.

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
Wonderful! Exactly the type of answer i was looking for.

Thanks everyone!

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi,

raise some same aged young channa to adulthood, and in most cases a pair will find themselves from a group of six.

Bonded pairs try to chase the others otut of the breeding territory, cause other channa are a potebtial threat to the young.

I have bred several species of channa, atm I have fry form pulchra and asiatica.

Cheers

Cheesetian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
Cool! Currently looking for dwarf snakeheads here in Singapore but having no luck. Gotta' go out and start scouting soon. Really want Channa sp. Five-stripe.

Many thanks Brucki!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store